What are the Best Schooling Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beginner on the loose

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys! Starting up a new tank, its just a small 20 gallon (freshwater community) and I was wondering what fish school nicely because I am going for about three different schools, also please take appearance into accout, i have my eye on red pencil fish, ghost glass cats, and I dont know what else, also if either listed above do not school well please inform me. Thanks for the Help!

I'd say no ghost glass cats, as I've heard they just pick a nice part of the tank and float there unless its eating time. As for another fish, I'd say Rummy Nose Tetra, I'd say they're my favorite fish. They like schools of 8-10 (though more is better but definitely not necessary) and all they do is swim around ALL THE TIME! I swear, they are the most active fish overall I've ever had. Fun, peaceful, and there heads, the red part (their namesake ofcourse) will turn pale if ypur water quality is begining to suffer.

Thats what makes ghost cats so neat, they stay together in a tight school and hang together close to a plant but out where you can see them. Plus they tend to stay near the bottom which gives a school of fish low in the tank. Cory cats are also a shoaling fish that could be used for some active bottom fish.

I had a school of rummy nosed tetras that lasted for about four years before the became food for a newly introduced Oscar. The get kind of big (2 inches or so?) and mine were very active - so I don't know how we'll they'd do in a 20 gal. Supposedly they are more sensitive to water conditions than a lot of tetras. I'd go with cardinals.

Rummies and cardinals both get to be about the same size. Even neons can get good sized if they live that long.

IME, anything can get BIG (relative to its average size) with enough room. And I never thought of ghost cats that way, maybe I'll get some after all, as I've been on the fence with them for awhile. And I could NEVER let myself feed fish that I've kept alive for four years be eaten by a new fish, I'd definitely rehome in that scenario.

Shoaling & Schooling Difference

What is the difference from shoaling and schooling?

Hello begin...

The difference is simple, it has to do with how the group moves. Schooling fish keep together during the day for protection. When one moves, the others mimic that move. Watch any species of Tetra. Those are true schooling fish.

Shoaling fish keep together in much looser groups and not necessarily for protection. Their movements within the group are individual. Corydoras are one example of a shoaling fish.

B

A group of fish that stay together for social reasons are shoaling. Cory Cats are shoaling fish as they like to be with their own kind but go about individually. A group of fish that swim and move together in a coordinated manner are schooling. Many tetras for example are schooling fish that stay together fairly tightly in a group moving together as one not as individuals.

Sizing

2 more questions, you guys have been great!
1: How many schools should I have in this 20 gallon tank?
2: How many fish would be good in each school?

In a small tank one nice school of smaller fish would look best IMO. It will allow them to stand out. Two schools in a small tank is going to look busy. As for how many would depend on what other fish and how many of them you keep. You need at least 6 but can have up to 12 IMO depending on the actually size of the fish chosen.

Back
Top Bottom