What are the most colorful top dwelling fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lovin Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! What are the most colorful top dwelling fish? I am looking for a peaceful fish that will add bright movement at the top of my tank. Fish that are at least 2" long so that they don't get gobbled up by my 4" Kribensis.

I can't wait to hear back from you guys! :D

i have a gold gourami and i honeslty am not very fond of this fish. I would go with maybe a dwarf gourami. i know they arent that colorful but hatchetfish would be fun for the top of the tank

What about rainbows? They stay towards the top and you can find them in so many different variations now.

I have a gold gourami and they are great, the pearl gourami is nice too. Blue gouramis are quite pretty too. Not keen on rainbows personally don't see what the big deal is.

Gouramis are nice to look at and are top dwellers and would be fine with the krib. Betta's of course but not compatible with the kribs.

I am so sorry for not mentioning I had a betta in the tank too. I should have.
I have a female betta in with my Krib. She is really an all over fish, prefering to be with the Krib near the bottom only going to the top to get air. I read that gouramis and the betta will be a very bad match, so unfortuantely no gouramis. I love the honey gouramis. So beautiful.

Last edited:
I really like gouramis...the pearl, the marigold and honey's are my favorite. But, I put a betta in the tank. She is a sweet heart. Bettas have never been my favorite fish, but I got three from someone and decided I love them! They really appreciate swimming room!
The tank is a 75 gallon 48" long and 19"wide.

I do think the dwarf neon rainbows are pretty cool, but when watching youtube videos, have not noticed them dwelling in the top area of the tank. So, I am not sure if I would still have a huge empty spot or not with them. Far as the other rainbows go, I am not too fond of them. The big humps on the backs turn me off. The colors are amazing though!

Is anyone familiar with the Moustache Danio? It looks striking in the few pics I have seen, but is not a popluar fish so I am not sure if it is a good fish to keep or not. Gotta be some reason people don't keep them.

I was going to get 10 hatchetfish, but my LFS told me they are prone to ich so I decided to pass on them. Unfortuantely cuz they are so cool!

Thank you for the link. I refer to this site often. I read the profile and since it's an all-over fosh, I will probably have a bare top. What do you think? Do you have them or know anyone that does?

It's too bad the the majority of colorful top fish are so tiny and tastey ;)

Lovin Fish said:
Thank you for the link. I refer to this site often. I read the profile and since it's an all-over fosh, I will probably have a bare top. What do you think? Do you have them or know anyone that does?

It's too bad the the majority of colorful top fish are so tiny and tastey ;)

I used to have them and I found that mine stayed near the top and would occasionally venture to the middle. I had one that liked to "jump" used to scare {mod edit} me on a regular basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Paradise fish'. Sounds interesting! I will head to google and look them up!

Oh my goodness Paradise fish are gorgeous! I will be researching them further to be sure they will do okay with the krib and the betta. WOW! What a beautiful fish!

Back
Top Bottom