What are the odds that all your fish jump out of the QT tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishobsessed7

Aquarium Advice Addict
So today I bought 3 platies and put them in my 5 gal open top QT tank. I got them acclimated and settled in so I left the"fish" room and went to my bedroom. About two hours later I come back to check on them and there are 3 platies on the floor. One was pretty much completely dry, one was sorta dry, and one was mostly wet. So I quickly picked them up and put them back in the tank and the wet one acted pretty much normal, and the sorta dry one swam a little and then hovered in the corner and the dry one floated at the top. So I went to find something to cover the tank but all I found was a towel.

When I got back to the tank the dry one was at the bottom so I picked him up and was gonna toss her, but I saw her fins moving so I left her and put the towel over the tank. Hopefully the darkness will help to keep them less stressed. I'm really hoping that they all survive.

BUT, I should have known better. When I brought inThe platies from my outdoor tubs they were also placed in an open top tank and all but one of them jumped out and died. You would think that I would learn from my mistakes!

My rant is over now!

Also all this was about an hour ago and they are swimmingish now!

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

I had a guppy jump out of a container that I had her in to acclimatise to the hospital tank. She was out of water for at least 15 minutes and was tacky dry. I just plopped her back in the cup of water and she started moving. Took her 2 weeks to recover from the shock and the damage to her scales. I put her back into the main tank not long after, and the first thing she did was fight the dominant female for her top spot back. A week or so later she had 20 fry!
Now I always use a baggy or a cup with a lid when acclimatising no matter what the fish!

I think some of my guppies are too dumb to jump. A lot of my tanks have no lids or only half lids. The cats drink out of the tanks and the one group of guppies swim right over to investigate this cat tongue in their tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sadly, the platy that was dry didn't survive the night. :(

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Sorry to hear that man. Hopefully it didn't break up a trio.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's no good. I had hatchet fish once and found a dead one behind the tank. I think they jumped when I did maintenance. Found a Goldie very dead on the basement floor but that could have been a cat fishing for sport. It is really disappointing. Sorry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Fish exhibit escape response for a number of reasons.
Shock, stress etc etc.

Shock could be temp. Water params. Toxic elements etc.

Stress is equally as diverse.

There must be a cause.

Maybe it was temperature? Did you acclimate them?

Shame you lost a fish, it's unfortunate to say this but WE ALL LEARN FROM THE SAME THING!

Fishes dying.

Hope the rest pull through.

I'm thinking it was stress because I acclimated them for about an hour and a quarter.

Although the one that died did have fry while in the bag, so I have something to carry on the genes.

The other two are doing well.

Fishobsessed7

Back
Top Bottom