What are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alia258

Aquarium Advice Addict
All I know about these guys is that they're freshwater. They were dumped on me because no one else would take them...

Okay, my question wasn't specific enough. I'm pretty sure they're some kind of Otto cat or Cory cat, I'm asking which species in specific ^^

...ottos. there are different kinds,but the differences are marginal

Okay, the best I can tell is that it's probly the batmani species. Do they eat algae or are they bottom feeders?

Yes, they are algae eaters and do best in planted tanks. If your tank lacks algae, you will need to feed them algae disks and/or vegetables

I have plenty of algae discs :) and I've got a breeder box that's overflowing with algae and it slowly seeps out. It'll be great to have a clean up crew! The fish are small, but will they grow larger? They're in my 10g right now. Also, one has some pretty inflamed gills, will this go away on its own?

View attachment 93675

It's not batmani, I need help finding the species please!

I've looked up affinis on google images, but the answering pictures made it hard. I think they are, and if so, my tank is perfect for them! And I've already got algae discs. But I was thinking they might be O. Vittatus, and I'm not sure how different the two are :<

The two seem similar enough that knowing the actual name isn't totally needed. Both need algae, tropical temps, and prefer dark substrate and broad leaved plants. They eat discs and zucchini. They both like hiding places. Does anyone see trouble in the differences?

Luna09 said:
Those are oto cats. I have 5

I know that they're Otto cats, I want to know which sub species of Otto cat that they are :)

jetajockey said:
They look pretty close and probably are mislabeled as one another because of it. Since they look to be closely related I would treat the care requirements as one in the same.

I'll go with that then! The inflammation will hopefully go away, I certainly hope it's sooner rather than later

Looks like either an otocinclus vestitus or otocinclus vittatus to me. Those are the most common Oto types that the vast majority of fish stores carry.

Back
Top Bottom