What are these? Are they eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've just come home from work to find loads of tiny beige/white balls all over the substrate of my aquarium. I'd love them to be eggs from my false julii corys but I don't think they are. What's confusing me is that they're just loose on the substrate, they're not stuck on the glass or leaves or anything.

In my tank at the moment, I have emperor tetras, false julii corys, an otocinclus, male Siamese fighter, and loads of cherry shrimp. What could they be?! Hope someone can help me identify them :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1408293690737.jpg
    1408293690737.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 1408293709147.jpg
    1408293709147.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 142
If they're eggs they aren't fertilized, so they won't hatch. Almost surely they're otocinclus or corydoras eggs though.

I've seen Cory eggs stuck on glass before and they were slightly transparent and looked almost jelly like. These look opaque and like stone texture. I hope they are Cory eggs! :D what would they look like if they were fertilised?

Yeah quite a lot around the base of plants, but some in the open areas of substrate too.

Do you happen to use osmocote root tabs? It looks like some pellets worked their way up, it happens to me every once in a while.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It does look a bit like osmocote, but I've never used it in my tank. It's a lot paler too than osmocote.

Ok I'm trying to get an idea of the size, the substrate looks like either fluval or ecocomplete and judging by that it doesn't seem like it could be eggs from any of those fish, they're just too big.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's what I thought too. I'm not exactly sure what the size of the substrate is, but what also went through my mind is that if the eggs aren't fertilized then surely there's fungus all over them. I don't think that'd increase the size very much though.

The substrate is sansibar fine sand from JBL, with dennerle shrimp substrate on top. The "eggs" are the same size as Cory eggs, but look different to the ones I've seen before.

Hopefully this'll give you a better idea of scale :) you can just see for in a row behind the middle stone, and some just to the left of the stone on the right. Hope this helps! Thanks for all the replies so far!

Attachments

• 1408342957727.jpg
    1408342957727.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 100
I'm still sticking with cory or oto eggs, since they're unfertilized the eggs would have fallen off of the surface they were on.

Nope, no nerite snails, only Malaysian trumpets. Ooo I hope they are Cory eggs! I've been waiting for them to start for aaages! (Well, weeks really. They're only young, but I'm impatient ;) )

Nope, no nerite snails, only Malaysian trumpets. Ooo I hope they are Cory eggs! I've been waiting for them to start for aaages! (Well, weeks really. They're only young, but I'm impatient ;) )

Cory eggs seem the most likely then. Cant tell if they're fertilized or not but they look white and thats usually not a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom