What are these fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kittykat364

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406319264.104700.jpg

We found them in a local stream along with

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406319334.388489.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I believe the second picture (the clawed one XD) is a crawdad. Probably a female juvie as the claws are rather small. Could be wrong but I've done my share of stream catching so I am pretty sure it is a crawdad. They like catching and eating small fish. lol

The first picture... seems to be fathead minnows. Used to catch them and feed them to my RCC. I kept a few and they were fun.

Probably fathead minnows and a small female crawdad.

Thank you!

The second picture I knew was a crawfish, I didn't know what kind. It also looks like it lost it's other claw in battle or something, does that mean anything?

Also, here is another picture of the minnows. They are all striped.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406322745.745748.jpg

The pictures of the fatheads I've been seeing have all-black ones, but we didn't see any black ones when we collected them. There were some bigger ones, too, probably about 2-3 inches long. We think these might be juveniles.

OH! I saw them in the new picture and chuckle at me foolishness. Assuming you live in NA they are probably Blacknose Dace!

I'll look that up, thanks.

It does look like a blacknose dace. Could I keep some in a 3-gal tank until they outgrow it? I might put duckweed in, too, to help with the bioload.

Hmm... Yeah but do water changes frequently and remember to acclimate them. Also, they are coldwater so just dont use a heater. I would upgrade them to a 10 or 20 long later on as you have quite a few.

Ok, I'll probably just keep one or two. I was reading and their cousins, long nose dace, don't school so I think it should be okay keeping one by itself.

Hmm.. I always like trios for some reason XD

Good job on doing your own research!!

Best of luck on your Dace tank, - Raymond

Thanks! And yeah I would keep a trio but since it's a small tank, 3 gallons, and the fish can get bigger, around 3 inches, I don't want to overstock the tank.

And thank you very much for all your help!! I really appreciate it.

True. 1 or two is best for that tank. You should get some ghost shrimp for that tank. They do well in lower temperatures. And no problem! Aquarists gotta help other aquarists. :)

Thanks, that's a good idea. I think I'm actually going to skip it because it have to take it back home, I'm at my Grandmother's house right now, it's an 8 hour drive.

Haha next time you go bring an ice box and get some nice cold water up in that for the 8 hour drive! :) Get yourself some nice natives.

It will be pretty tough to id the minnows, but if I had to guess I would say they are juvie creek chubs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It will be pretty tough to id the minnows, but if I had to guess I would say they are juvie creek chubs.

Blacknose and long nose dace are both sucker like

Crawdad/crayfish will regenerate missing limbs over time

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The story continues: we caught another different type of fish

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407199071.727261.jpg

Is it a baby? Is it a sucker fish? I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom