What are these snails doing??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to always check the water surface for apple snail eggs. I got rid of most of them. When I got rid of my HOB filters, I saw a few behind it that were already hatched. Now I see a lot of babies. I don't mind having them. They help me clean my tank. Lol

The nerites I got from SM do far more than my apples. All they seem to do is poop. And there is ALREADY one egg clutch on my aqua clear 30 filter!!

I also keep nerites now(4 types). They are far better than any other snails IMO. I think I have all sorts of snails in my tank. I just saw a few ramshorn a few days ago. I think it came with the plants. I also bought 20 MTS for my 125g since I don't clean my substrate. It's kinda hard with all the plants. So snails are a must plus shrimps.

I also ended up just keeping one apple snail each tank to prevent having baby snails.

That is exactly why I picked up the AES and nerites from SM since I want to grow this tank out densely planted.
I have a local LFS that I can get the babies to, and probably one of the adults as well. A least I will make a little money!

Yea. I got some of my nerites and my AES from them as well. My horned nerites and AES are eating algae non-stop. I still throw in some algae wafer and shrimp pellets every now and then. Are you going to keep the baby snails or you would want to get rid of them? In a couple of months(if the baby apple snails hatched), they'll be big enough for you to pick them up. You can also put a blanched zucchini or cucumber to attract snails and just pull them out with the vegetable. Good luck with your tank.

HalfMoon B said:
Roy, do you supplement calcium for their shells?

No, I don't. I should look in to doing that. The snails and shrimp seems to be doing great though. Maybe my tap has some calcium. I should buy a test for that.

Back
Top Bottom