What "big" fish can be in a 50 gallon ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sorry all for disturbing with you again :) !

its a 55 gallon tank and i THINK i have decided on the following stock:

1x Green terror Male
1x Jack Dempsey Male
1x Convict Male (if there is room)
1x Bristlenose pleco (if there is room)

do you guys think i could pull this off ? :)?

i would add them as juveniles !

This is just my opinion but I wouldn't add the green terror or jack Dempsey. Some convict cichlids or Pictus catfish would be nice.

I think it would be good. Make sure there's separated substrate space that they would be able to claim as theirs and you shouldn't have any problems. Get them young and small for the best chance at success.

In my experience, they may become more aggressive with each other as they get older, but that will be mitigated by growing up together and space to call their own. Always be ready to separate them though if something does happen.

Had a JD, GT, firemouth, convict, and a few others. Only one of any single specie. Not once had any issue or death from aggression in the tank (70g). From what I've seen, the most aggression you'll see is if you have multiple of a specie in the tank or get a breeding pair. This is all my opinion/experiences.

Fishyd would you say it was a good experience having these fish ? How did you aquascape your tank ? :)

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_267 using Tapatalk

It definitely was a learning experience, but yes it was very good. I didn't lose a single fish until my canister leaked. Moved them into a 30g and ended up losing most from something in the gravel. JD, Nicaraguan, and convict were the only 3 that survived.

At the time, I was using fake plants and decorations. Went back and forth between open and separated layouts and all worked well for me. With open, had a lot less fights since there was no good space for any to claim. When I used layouts that had zones, had a few battles while space was being claimed but no problems after that. With yours, it would be easy I think to have 4 or 5 spaces so each would have a spot to call their own and have a couple extra.

2 years ago when I had the open layout:
86602-albums13529-picture66666.jpg

Last year with a sunken ship and zoned layout. Used the ships and plants as separators:
86602-albums13529-picture63976.jpg

Currently, I'm moving to african cichlids and using a rockscape.

beautiful tank and fish , i am just worried if i get them and it won't work for them , all of these fish cost a fortune at my country **** the economic crisis , but thanks again !

I could ship a convict or 200 would just have to pay shipping lol. Im sure would still be cheaper to buy that one near you. More serious note, See if you can get your lfs to agree to buy back if aggression becomes an issue.

Best advice there from gmach: before buying make sure your LFS will buy back an aggressive one. Or find Another fish keeper in the area that could and would.

Another option would be to see if there are any clubs or groups in your area. You might be able to buy from them

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

yeah thats a good idea , but my lfs is really ****** only about 15 tanks with fish in it 5 of the tanks has goldfish…. and there really isn't that many fishes in the store :/
i was about to buy a bolivian ram and i didn't know they were that expensive for a small one it costed 50 bucks(didn't buy it) …. there is another fish store but it is 280 miles away …sucks :(

but i could always advertise online in my area and test my luck on green terrors and jack dempsey and the convict

yeah thats a good idea , but my lfs is really ****** only about 15 tanks with fish in it 5 of the tanks has goldfish…. and there really isn't that many fishes in the store :/
i was about to buy a bolivian ram and i didn't know they were that expensive for a small one it costed 50 bucks(didn't buy it) …. there is another fish store but it is 280 miles away …sucks :(

but i could always advertise online in my area and test my luck on green terrors and jack dempsey and the convict

I love my bolivian rams, they have great cichlid personalities without the injured fish. My smallest male ram likes to hide in driftwood crevices till the larger one passes and charge it then stop before he reaches him. The larger initially runs then they stare at each other for a minute and swim to opposite sides of the tank lol. Also is a 4' tank and far from fully stocked.

Back
Top Bottom