What "big" fish can be in a 50 gallon ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidthinker

Aquarium Advice Freak
I originally wanted a single oscar but then i would need a bigger tank .

Maybe anything that looks like and acts like a oscar ? Just something big but not to big for a 50 gal :)

Any suggestions is helpfull!

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_267 using Tapatalk

Red devil needs at least a 5' tank. They are very active. Nothing else is "like an oscar" i have kept around 15-20 cichlids so far and have not found one that acts like an oscar. But anyway, i suggest a severum. Very cool fish.

Red devil needs at least a 5' tank. They are very active. Nothing else is "like an oscar" i have kept around 15-20 cichlids so far and have not found one that acts like an oscar. But anyway, i suggest a severum. Very cool fish.

I'm sorry but all my previous research and experience has never shown a 5' requirement. From what I've seen, a 4' platform is more than enough however, an 18" width is a better choice.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/reddevil.php

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+889+924&pcatid=924

From another thread we learned op's footprint is around 48x16 which is way more swim space than a traditional 55..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can look into jack dempsey's or green terrors. a pair would be good I think.

Decided on a pair of jack dempseys , or a male jack dempsey and 2 male convicts and pictus catfish , what do you guys think ?

Decided on a pair of jack dempseys , or a male jack dempsey and 2 male convicts and pictus catfish , what do you guys think ?

I want to say you would be stocked at the pair of jack dempsey's. Others might say differently. Maybe a pair of rainbow cichlids.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400631155.228832.jpg

pair of geophagus red head and angelfish? the pair of jack dempseys would kill anything in that close range tank if it was a true pair and if it had other tank mates.and pair of green terrors would be amazing in that tank. you could get a group of african cichlids. rainbow cichlids are also beautiful fish but don't get that big maybe just about MAX of 5 inches so that is up to you. maybe a big group of big male rainbow fish but I'm guessing you don't want schooling fish..... but i definitely would go with a pair of geophagus red heads and a pair of angelfish! that would looks nice. red devils don't require a 5 foot tank but they do get pretty active when they are big eventually breaking heaters, splashing water, moving decor, etc. i wanted to say red tailed catfish or arowana BUT we all not that you would have to give that away or upgrade to a BIGGER tank. so it pretty much all comes down to whether you like the big aggressive fish, gentle giants, big schooling fish, and how big are you looking for.

maybe some a pair of oscars or 4 of them. though i would not really advise this but i have seen many keep that many with success in a 50 gallon but with not decorations. oh that is another thing to keep in mind the decor because that takes up space too. maybe a group of elephant noses? or a single Zebra tilapia, thought to be honest mine hasn't really grown for some reason. has stayed 15 inch for the past year.... but do get active. maybe some parrot fish. or one/or some nice sized plecos (royal, red dragon, cactus) with some convicts?

maybe some a pair of oscars or 4 of them. though i would not really advise this but i have seen many keep that many with success in a 50 gallon but with not decorations. oh that is another thing to keep in mind the decor because that takes up space too. maybe a group of elephant noses? or a single Zebra tilapia, thought to be honest mine hasn't really grown for some reason. has stayed 15 inch for the past year.... but do get active. maybe some parrot fish. or one/or some nice sized plecos (royal, red dragon, cactus) with some convicts?

Dude what?!!? No oscars in this tank..... why must you spew such nonsensical banter this early on a wedsday. Oh yah . Sweet tank bro.. 4 oscars and no decorations, simply breathtaking.. blahhhhh

Dude what?!!? No oscars in this tank..... why must you spew such nonsensical banter this early on a wedsday. Oh yah . Sweet tank bro.. 4 oscars and no decorations, simply breathtaking.. blahhhhh

I agree. What nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Wouldnt keep an elaphant nose in that tank they get like a foot long they are smaller than a ghost knife fish but still not small enough for that tank.

I said a pair of jack dempseys OR 1x male jack dempsey and 2x convict males and raphael catfish or pictus :)

notice how i said "or 4" and how i said "i wouldn't really recommend it". it is just a suggestion. and there are people that don't have decors and it still looks amazing. so don't start going around commenting on people until you read it ENTIRELY! and plus i didn't say to get them it is a SUGGESTION and there are people that have kept these in a tank that size with success.

but anyways don't want to start and big tantrum or something so good luck with the fish picking! i would go with 2 convicts and a raphael catfish, but i don't know about the jack dempsey if it ends up being a male that will get huge!

notice how i said "or 4" and how i said "i wouldn't really recommend it". it is just a suggestion. and there are people that don't have decors and it still looks amazing. so don't start going around commenting on people until you read it ENTIRELY! and plus i didn't say to get them it is a SUGGESTION and there are people that have kept these in a tank that size with success.

Are you serious? Just even mentioning maybe 4 OSCARS IN A 50 GALLON TANK is absurd. The fact that you recommend a pair of oscars in a 50 gallon discredits you. 1 oscar needs at the bare minnimum a 75 gallon tank. 2 dempseys might even be too much... Why not go with some smaller sa cichlids or maybe an African tank?

This is why i have been off of AA for a long time and a lot of very knowledgeable members have left also, people that suggest 4 oscars for a 50g tank should stick to minnows and let the big boys keep the monster fish.......

This is why i have been off of AA for a long time and a lot of very knowledgeable members have left also, people that suggest 4 oscars for a 50g tank should stick to minnows and let the big boys keep the monster fish.......

Exactly, I wish we had not lost members like hukit.

Back
Top Bottom