What Bottom feeder should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inspiringmind

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have about a month old 10 gallon tank. And even though the Fancy Mollies seem to eat some of the bottom I would feel much better if I got an actual "Bottom Feeder" to help keep the tank a little bit cleaner. The tank has a filter and a heater (Is a tropical tank.) and has the following fish in it right now:

2 Small Mollies (One whom of which is very pregnant!)
2 Fancy Mollies
1 Male Betta

Any suggestions of what kind to get?

Thanks!

Mary

HOw about a little group of kuhli loaches? THey go through the gravel and search for food and will constantly do this once they get used to your tank.

I researched the fish a little bit and noticed it said they work better in groups of 4. Was wondering if there was another with a smaller group?

Mary

All loaches like groups but kuhlis dont have to be,they will do fine but if you have a group they seem to be a little more active.Just try 2 if you have to.

Why cant you have 4? Thats not a whole lot a fish when you are talking about kuhli loaches.

Pretty much every bottom feeder would be better in a small group or get to big for your tank.

Corydoras don't eat algae, otocinclus do though. But really good IMO would be to get some Amano or other shrimp. They don't fall into that 1"/gal rule and keep your tank sparkling.
Amanos eat EVERYTHING, algae, detrius, food leftovers, only dead plants and so on. They are nice to fishies, but cannot be kept with really big ones, cuz they would eat the shrimp. Plus they are really interesting to watch.

You would need to make sure that you don't have heavy metals, exspecially copper in your tank (copper pipes in the house or fish medicaments) cuz then they'll die rather quickly.

Check back on the Fish and Plant Profiles, there should be coming a profile about Amano Shrimp from me during the next few days.

OK was just checking....I can have 4...well, if hubby says it's ok to go buy 4 :lol: I would rather they be more active. Thanks for the tip. I am gonna go out in a littlw while and see about gettig them!

Mary

Why not shrimp? Ghost shrimp will eat hair algae, detritus, and just about anything that's edible.

inspiringmind said:
OK was just checking....I can have 4...well, if hubby says it's ok to go buy 4 :lol: I would rather they be more active. Thanks for the tip. I am gonna go out in a littlw while and see about gettig them!

Mary

wouldn't 4 kuhli loaches be too much for a 10 gallon??

Yes, I agree that four kuhli loaches in a 10 gallon tank will be way too overstocked. IMO, 20 gallons is even a bit small for four kuhli loaches.

I think the ghost or amano shrimp suggestion is a good idea. These shrimp will search for bits of uneaten food at the bottom of the tank, and they will eat regular flake food. They will not eat other fish's waste, so you'll need to keep doing your gravel vacs with each water change to keep the bottom of the tank clean. I have read that amano shrimp will eat some types of algae also, which is good to have in a planted tank, if you go that route.

i am also setting up a new tank, 44 gallon i think, and was also thinking about a cleaning crew. i plan to move my 3 clown loaches into there and it already contains one dwarf gourami and a couple of congo tetras (planning to get a few more.) i like the idea of shrimp but havnt seen any round here and am worried about their metal sensitivity. so should i get corys ore khuilis?

Another thought is to get a couple apple snails. :mrgreen: They don't eat fish waste but they do eat leftover food and algae on your tank walls. Check out this site for more info: www.applesnail.net

Back
Top Bottom