What breed is George?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justkeepswimming

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need some help identifying this fish (attached)

He was in a tank with 3 minnows and another fish a similar size to him. My sister came back from holiday to find that he had eaten the three minnows and was chasing the other fish round and round until he spent most of his time under the bridge. My mum fed the fish every day as normal and said they were fine until the night before. My sister came home to find one half-eaten body and two missing.

My sister purchased these fish together from Pets at Home but when she took him back to find out the breed they didn't know. The aggressive fish has been removed into his own tank which has been kitted out. I have inherited him now but I don't really want to keep him on his own, unless he's of a breed which is happy alone. Is there a fish I could put in with him that he is likely to get along with? If so how many?

Thanks,

Charlie

Attachments

• George the fish.jpg
    George the fish.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 73
Can you get a better picture of it? maybe one of the side?

I'm having a real hard time seeing, but it looks to me to be some sort of brichardi based on the tail... but it also favors some of the south/central american cichlids. a better picture will definitely help as I may be totally off with that guess

George's ID

Looks like perhaps a black paradise fish - marcapodus or perhaps a type of Belontidae, but just guessing.

Blue Paradise gourami. I have one in a 10g by itself. They're actually really close related to the Betta fish. If you look at the face and body you'll see the similarities

Blue Paradise gourami. I have one in a 10g by itself. They're actually really close related to the Betta fish. If you look at the face and body you'll see the similarities

They are very closely related. Both are from the anabantids family. They all have that air breathing organ. Along with the rest of the gourami clan, snakeheads, and climbing perch.

Back
Top Bottom