What Breeds are my Plecs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Verity

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I dont suppose any of you fantastic people could help me out.

I have two plecos one I'm pretty certain is a 'common pleco', but the other one I am completely clueless about.

I have tried over time to work it out but everytime i find a photo of one that looks like one of mine, they are always just referred to as 'plec'

img_1186965_0_5d805c396b4f207e241e1d9002c6025e.jpg

This is Angelina, when I brought her she was just referred to as 'plec'
Im pretty certain she is a 'common plec'

Current Age: 4-5 years

Size: 5-6 Inches (was about 2 inches when I first got her)

Colour: very dark brown mixed with a bit of black. (she had a near death expierience a while back when this photo was taken so she was quite pale and unhappy in the photo)

Texture: really ruff, like sand paper

Temperament: Very shy. hides all the time in her plastic hollow tree trunk home. I see he once in a blue moon when I walk into my room at night and catch her off guard.

img_1186965_1_9511f1cbb73b86de0367b2e0cacab855.jpg

Ludo was given to me by a friend, so I have no idea what breed it is.
when we thought Angelina was dead she turned up at mine with Ludo so I never even did any research into plec breeds, if im honest the fact that there are different breeds didnt even pop into my head before.

Current Age: Well ive had her for 8 months, so maybe around a year old?

Size: 2 Inches

Colour: Light and Dark brown, both Stripes and Spots

Texture: pretty much smooth

Temperament: Always swimming around, mainly likes sitting right in the middle of the tank where the food falls. other then that it sits under a bit of drift wood. pretty friendly and willing to stand up to the apple snail when it tries to still her food.

img_1186965_2_32cc2c13740207fa542861ba0d50cc35.jpg

Am I correct in thinking Angelina is a Common Pleco?

What could Ludo be?

The tank is 28 gallons, is this now too small for Angelina?
I brought her years ago with out realising how big she would get. If I am right about her being a common, she could reach a much bigger size right?!

Cheers in advance for any help and info you guys can give me

I am not the most experienced person so maybe other people can help too, but here's my 2 cents:

I think Angelina is indeed a common pleco and if that is the case she will definitely get too big for your 28gal, common plecs get too big even for tanks 100gal. However, if you're really attached you can always get a big tank (like 75gal) and keep her in that for a while longer (not sure how fast she will grow)

I think Ludo might be a female bristlenose, does "he" have bushy looking "hooks" by his gills that will sometimes flare? If he does I'd be pretty sure its a female BN

Again, this is JMO but hope it helps.

I would say Common Plec on Angelina and Bristlenose is a good guess at Ludo. Both will outgrow the tank at certain stages. Angelina much sooner ive seen a footlong plec but they can get bigger.

Thank You So So much for your replies guys!
very much appricitated!!

XimeD thank you for your reply! no Ludo has no little bushy hook things, a pretty smooth nose all round. will these things grow? or does it mean Ludo is a boy?!

Shetland James - thank you :p Ive always been really chuffed with Ludo's looks

XimeD and Hobnobelisk, should i be looking at getting Angelina a new home pretty soon? I havnt got the funds right now to get another tank and set it up. but if its best for her I may have to find her a new home with another family :( if she could last out a few more months until i could save i might be able to get another tank (I will espcially be looking into this knowing Ludo will soon out grow the tank too). But honestly I want whats best for her.

Thanks again for your help!

No problem! You are safe for now you could probably get away with her getting to about 8 inches before you have to move her. As fish all grow at different rates depending on conditions and feeding its hard to say how long that will be though. I would not worry about moving her yet just wait until she gets about that size then look into moving her. Hopefully she will last long enough for you to keep her =)

Back
Top Bottom