what can I add??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Subaru

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A 20 gallon community tank

3 Tiger Barbs
3 Gold Barbs
3 Serpae Tetras

Would I able to add some more fish?
what about three corys? or Can I add one red tail shark?

Thanks

I'd say that you can add three corys. They would complement your tank since they occupy a different region of water. Btw, consider adding 2 otos for algae eating purposes.

In my humble opinion, you could add a couple more Tiger Barbs along with 3 Corys and get away with it easily.

I would add a few more of the barbs myself, they always seem to do better in a larger group. They usually wont mess with the other fish if there are enough of the barbs together, even if they might seem as if they are terriorizing each other. But man are they fun to watch sometimes.

I agree that a school of 6 barbs is good. However, I still think that populating the bottom of the tank makes a good addition.

Btw, the argument of schooling works for the tetras as well. They prefer to be 6-8! But you cannot have it all!

Serpae's can be some of the more aggressive of the tetras, particularly amongst themselves. I'd highly suggest you pick up 2-3 more of those as well. (I made a rookie mistake with them and only keeping a few years ago). Same for the Tigers. Then I think you could safely add 3 Cories as well, provided you have good filtration.

That'll be a neat tank to see when it came together. You'll have to post pics when you get fully stocked!

I say go with a red tail black shark, they are so beautiful and a fish full of attitude. It will mix well with your barbs. My barbs and RT get along great! Take a peek at my gallery I have pics of my 20gal with barbs and RT.

I love Red Tails too, but a 20 is really a minimum tank, and I think it's best to either shore up the schools with added numbers, or drop one schooling species for the Red Tail. But that's just my 2 cents :wink:

I guess I will add some tiger barbs and some corys

In the lfs, I saw alot of the panda corys, but they are all just less than one inch.

would those small panda corys eat the shrimp pellets? What should I feed them?

They'll eat just about anything, including the shrimp pellets. Pandas are one of the smaller Cories, but they'll get closer to 2 inches

would those small panda corys eat the shrimp pellets? What should I feed them?

The shrimp pellets would likely be a bit large to eat in one bite, but mine will sit there with a pellet and eat bits of of it as it softens in the water, so you can use them, IMO. My cories eat anything that hits the bottom! What I usually do though, is feed flake at one side of the tank, then drop some pellets or sinking food at the other side while the feeding frenzy is taking place back at the original spot. That way, some food makes it to the bottom before all the top/mid dwelling piggies get it all. It helps me to avoid over feeding that way.

Those Panda Cory's will eat the shrimp pellets, just break them up a little or the water'll soften'em up just fine. You can also feed'em a broken up algae wafer, shelled frozen peas are tasty, as is zuchinni and they can always be counted on to scavenge leftovers at regular mealtimes.

Back
Top Bottom