What can I do about my water parameters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meaile

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have no idea what to do....

I talked with my city's water quality lab and the sent me out the parameters throughout the year. This is what I have....

June - September (average) GH 100-160/KH 130/PH 7.5

October - May (average) GH 25-30/KH 32/PH 7.0

What am I supposto do from October to May? Would Tetras, Platy's or Africans live through that?

I've read a little bit about baking soda and salt but I don't really understand it. I have no idea how much to add. I'm scared to get African cichlids now. Should I give up and get angelfish or something? Would they even survive the switch? Ugh.....I'm so discouraged.

This is what I have for the tank so far 45 gal/AQ 300/silica sand/basalt rock. Nothing is set up.

Im assuming your GH and KH are in ppm right?
Oct-May is really soft actually.... you would likely want to buffer that up for Discus even!!! (to stablize pH)
thekrib has a formula for baking soda.. If I recall correctly its 1 teaspoon per 50gal raises KH 1 point(about 17 ppm).. HTH

You shouldn't have a problem unless you have really delicate fish. Chances are the change is done gradually and not just all of a sudden. I dont' see a need to mess with anything in regards to your water parameters. If its done slowly, your fish will be slowly acclimated to the change. Plus, you could do more smaller water changes so the change isn't so much if you're really worried about it. I don't see how any water source could have the exact same parameters every day through the year.

FF.. a KH of 32ppm is less then 3.. that would cause PH stabilty problems.. Thats why I only advised buffering for that time period.. a KH of 3(wich is adviseable for PH stability) is ~52ppm..

I understand GM. I was referring to the pH. The gradual increase/decrease in the pH would be similar to the acclimation process of when introducing new fish to an aquarium. The hardess can be controlled by monitoring the hardness at water changes and when it starts to decline, then possibly add something to the tank like a piece of rock. Then when the water source starts to increase the hardness again, it can be removed or just simply left in the tank.

So you think just adding a piece of limestone during october through may would buffer the water enough?

The way I understood it is that Africans, especially Tangs, need hard water. I've heard ^160 ppm for GH (9 DH (?)) and ^ 180ppm KH (10 DH (?))
but maybe I'm reading the wrong articles....

I guess I never really thought about the change happening so gradually but even if I buffered the KH, 25-30ppm GH is so soft, would an african cichlid really do ok in that? Would a Piece of limestone raise both levels enough?

(I'm very new at learning this)

AFAIK, the GH is not a big factor for african cichlids. its the alkalinity that they are worried about. i don't know much about the relationship between ph, gh and kh; but from what i understand, both kh and gh are means to keeping a stable ph. if your water naturally does that, fine. if not, use simple artificial means to do it.

however, that said, travis simonson keeps his mbuna is far softer water than they are accustomed to. and they breed in that water, so i'll assume they are 'thriving'. but then again, he has a lavishly planted tank.

so, all i can say is that nothing is fixed in this hobby, every rule can be bent (almost reminds me of matrix :wink: ).

I would try to increase the hardness. They don't "need" it per say, but to buffer the waters pH, they need it. I'd just toss in some limestone or similar rock and just leave it. And then monitor the hardess with each water change. I'd say that would cover your basis. I'd actually put it in now and just leave it in all the time.

I will agree with Fishyfanatic.. the water will really need buffered for PH stability, when the time comes try using the limestone in the tank and then when it has been in there a while test to see if its getting your KH up to 3 (50+ppm)
by the way you really cant overdo it for Rift lake fish.. they like KH of 18-30 (300-500 ppm) and an ideal PH of around ~8.3.

Next time I go into the city I'll look for some limestone to use for rocks instead of the basalt.

When the KH is lower would the limestone leach into the water more or would it be the same all the time?

Tell me if I have this straight..... If I add the limestone at first setup and am able to raise the KH by 50ppm, which would also raise my PH and GH, totaling 180ish KH June - Sept, it would also raise my Oct - May level to 80ish KH. This would be enough buffer even in Oct - May to stabilize the PH. Because the change (dropping from 180 to 80 KH) would be gradual, my fish would be able to acclimate.

Assuming that I have this correct, should I add a piece or two (limestone) to the Platy/Neon tank as well?

livebearers(Plattys, Mollys....) would appreciate a little harder water but neon tetras really wouldnt like it much, thought they should be fine with it...
With the stone you will have to test and retest to make sure it is doing what you want it to do for your water...
Be carefull with the limestone.. the desireable stones will be a pale gray color(darker colors will have excess metals that would be undesireable).

I'd put it in there from the start because the limestone will gradually increase your hardness. It will then slightly decrease during the months of October. But at least it will already have the buffering ability.

I'm going to look for limestone and I'll just build my caves out of that instead of the basalt I have.

Do you think a little CC in the filter would make up for the difference during October - May?

I would just use the limestone. But I would experiment with it before forming all of the decor out of it. It may increase your pH ALOT. I'd start out with maybe 1 hut and see what happens after about a month, then maybe add another and so on.

This is all a matter of testing.. weather you will need alot of limestone or some CC will be all determined to how it reacts to your tank and water.. try and then test.

Back
Top Bottom