Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2003, 09:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mgkaelen
what causes pH to rise in tank?

hi friends... really considering making some adjustments to my tank so i can house an elephantnose fish in my tank! i know they're really finnicky with pH and temperature. i'm going to be getting a digital thermometer/heater.. don't know if i'm going to have some pH trouble.. (keeping it stable). . what would cause my pH to fluctuate in my non-planted tank? what if i make it planted in the near future ? will pH be affected then?? thanks in advance!

1 gold gourami
2 african frogs

freshwater, 10g
live plants
1 otocinclus

125 gallon empty
mgkaelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 01:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishboy-from-NY
Your frogs do a killing to your Bioload and that cause the Nitrates to increase & PH to lower. The more waste in the tank, the lower the PH will get. I suggest that you change the tank water more often and dillute the water which you shall put in with a PH Buffer instead of doing it in the tank directly. Also, check to see everyday if all your fish are doing well and alive since died fish can contribute to lower PH and Nitrate spikes. :P

Old 12-24-2003, 04:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

An increase in pH can be due to a substrate which has carbonate in it.... If the water is acidic (pH<7) it will react with the carbonate to become neutral (pH 7) (Calcium Carbonate is only very slightly soluable in water pH7 or above). Another cause is excessive ammonia. NH3 -> NH4OH .... that is ammonium hydroxide which is alkaline..ie pH > 7.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

i don't ask because my pH has fluctuated at all (maybe it has, i don't know! however my tank hasn't been affected by it if it has occured)... i just ask for the elephant nose that i'm planning to put into the tank. thanks for the advice!!
kaelen
1 gold gourami
2 african frogs

freshwater, 10g
live plants
1 otocinclus

125 gallon empty
Old 12-24-2003, 12:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Kaelen, why would you want to pay for digital thermometer/heater device, they are expensive! Get ebo-jager heater and your temp will never fluctuate. I have had Ebo-Jager for 3 months now and temp had NEVER moved from 77 that was set on the heater. Only occasionally it went up when it was hot in September, but no digital heater no matter how expensive can prevent that. I highly recommend Ebos. they are precise!
- 2 Otocinclus Cats.
- 3 Spotted Corys (Corydoras agassizi)
- 4 Clown Loaches
- 2 Rosy Barbs
captainGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 12:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

wow, thanks for the suggestion captain.. will look into one immediately !!!!!
1 gold gourami
2 african frogs

freshwater, 10g
live plants
1 otocinclus

125 gallon empty
Old 12-24-2003, 10:10 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Kaelen,

pH stability is primarily a function of your buffering capacity of your water. This is measured by your KH (also called alkalinity). Usually, your buffer is HCO3 (bicarbonates) in most water, but if you add chemical buffers (or pH down & the like), those buffers are often phosphates. (Not good - makes algae grow).

Assuming adaquate KH, there should be little change of your pH from original. The buffers do get used up, but you replenish it with water change.

If you have low KH, however, you would be adviced to add buffer - best thing to use is baking soda (Sodium bicarbonate), or Calcium carbonate (crushed oyster shell, coral). This will increase your pH as well.

So, if you are happy with your current pH & stability is not a concern, then I would leave well enough alone. If you must change the pH, then filtering through peat is considered best to lower pH, and adding carbonates to increase pH.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com