what causes pH to rise in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mgkaelen

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi friends... really considering making some adjustments to my tank so i can house an elephantnose fish in my tank! i know they're really finnicky with pH and temperature. i'm going to be getting a digital thermometer/heater.. don't know if i'm going to have some pH trouble.. (keeping it stable). . what would cause my pH to fluctuate in my non-planted tank? what if i make it planted in the near future ? will pH be affected then?? thanks in advance!

Your frogs do a killing to your Bioload and that cause the Nitrates to increase & PH to lower. The more waste in the tank, the lower the PH will get. I suggest that you change the tank water more often and dillute the water which you shall put in with a PH Buffer instead of doing it in the tank directly. Also, check to see everyday if all your fish are doing well and alive since died fish can contribute to lower PH and Nitrate spikes. :p

An increase in pH can be due to a substrate which has carbonate in it.... If the water is acidic (pH<7) it will react with the carbonate to become neutral (pH 7) (Calcium Carbonate is only very slightly soluable in water pH7 or above). Another cause is excessive ammonia. NH3 -> NH4OH .... that is ammonium hydroxide which is alkaline..ie pH > 7.

i don't ask because my pH has fluctuated at all (maybe it has, i don't know! however my tank hasn't been affected by it if it has occured)... i just ask for the elephant nose that i'm planning to put into the tank. thanks for the advice!!
kaelen

Kaelen, why would you want to pay for digital thermometer/heater device, they are expensive! Get ebo-jager heater and your temp will never fluctuate. I have had Ebo-Jager for 3 months now and temp had NEVER moved from 77 that was set on the heater. Only occasionally it went up when it was hot in September, but no digital heater no matter how expensive can prevent that. I highly recommend Ebos. they are precise!

Kaelen,

pH stability is primarily a function of your buffering capacity of your water. This is measured by your KH (also called alkalinity). Usually, your buffer is HCO3 (bicarbonates) in most water, but if you add chemical buffers (or pH down & the like), those buffers are often phosphates. (Not good - makes algae grow).

Assuming adaquate KH, there should be little change of your pH from original. The buffers do get used up, but you replenish it with water change.

If you have low KH, however, you would be adviced to add buffer - best thing to use is baking soda (Sodium bicarbonate), or Calcium carbonate (crushed oyster shell, coral). This will increase your pH as well.

So, if you are happy with your current pH & stability is not a concern, then I would leave well enough alone. If you must change the pH, then filtering through peat is considered best to lower pH, and adding carbonates to increase pH.

Back
Top Bottom