What color is healthy fish poo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of my fish have clearish turds, but my corys produce copious amounts of greenish crap.

I would imagine that a fish's diet would influence the color, but from what I've read here, white and bright red can be a sign of parasites and disease.

It depends on the fish and the food. I've seen all sorts from my fish... Esp. red from the red flakes that I've fed them.

Though my fish often poo white after they feast on bloodworms...otherwise it's greenish-brown.

My mollys and sword tails poo changes color with different food and my catfish always have a tan/brownish color. But it all depends on what the fish eats.

Interesting thread... fish poop colour usually depends on what they're eating. Reddish flakes - reddish poop. Greenish algae wafer - greenish poop. I've seen everything from clear to black and back again in my tanks.

My oscar eats a lot of veggies (he especially likes corn, that's his favorite for some reason), and sometimes I've seen him poo little yellow bits. I never worried much thought - I figured that his poos color was related directly to his diet.

Sorry - I know it was a very serious question but I had to LOL at this one :lol:
The things we talk about !!
My tetras are sooooo shy I haven't even noticed their poo yet!

LOL OMG LMFAO You have no idea how funny I found the title of this post. LOL. If anyone's a mother out there, you can relate because the number one topic over in a parenting forum is baby poo. And it seems fishy moms are no different (or dads, as the case may be). So sorry I found this so funny...LOL I don't know if it's because I'm tired or what.

Punkymom said:
LOL OMG LMFAO You have no idea how funny I found the title of this post. LOL. If anyone's a mother out there, you can relate because the number one topic over in a parenting forum is baby poo. And it seems fishy moms are no different (or dads, as the case may be). So sorry I found this so funny...LOL I don't know if it's because I'm tired or what.
What I find really funny is the way this thread has us sitting patiently by our tanks, waiting for the fish to poo, so we can make note of the color!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: do dog & cat & budgie owners examine their pets poo carefully & post q's on forums about that??????
i know i know were all just concerned about our fishies health & i have to admit i looked TOO after reading this post topic :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

I've found all different types of poo - the different species of fish seem to have their own "range" of color.

I've spent far too much times looking at fish poo since my intestinal worm incident. :(

Mine come out brown/black and somtimes marbled with white. I vary thier diet a lot so it doesn't surprise me that they have different colors coming out of them...

Back
Top Bottom