What could be raising my ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BHead707

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So testing yesterday i realized that my ph was super high. It was around 8.2, when my tap water is about 7.2. I was courious as to what could have brought it up?

My hypothesis is the rocks i had recently put in the tank, i have since removed them and done a couple water changes, about 10%, but its still not dropping at all.

Hope you can help
-Brandon

Have you checked your tap water after 24hrs with an airstone as well? Im assuming your tank is cycled here & you have 0 ammonia - high ammonia levels can cause the ph to increase due to ammonia's high alkalinity. How often do you do pwcs & how much?

tank is fully cycled, pwc's twice a week about 25%,
i have not put the airstone in the tap and tested after 24hrs, how does that make a difference?

Ok, thanks! Yes, 24hrs with an airstone/bubbler makes a difference- your tap will gas out & you will get a true reading for the conditions of your tank. Its possible the rocks did something to raise your ph. Lets see what you get for your tap reading after the little experiment & go from there!

ok cool cause my tank used to be at 7.6 before the spike. and it was at that reading since setup. so im hoping since removing the rocks that the ph will go back down to 7.6. How long would that take?

IMO you dont need to lower the ph. Just lt it set naturally. Unless it is something absolutely crazy. My tanks ph once dropped below what the petstores strips could test. That was bad.

The same happened to me. The pH in my tap water goes from 7.6 to 8.6 after spending some time with an airstone in a bucket.

Not to hijack this thread but what can cause the ph to drop ? From 7.6 to about 6.4 ?

Hi Mikey! You would get more answers posting a new thread but ill try to help a bit- have you done a 24hr test of your tap with an airstone? Is your tank cycled? Ph drops during cycling are common. Are these drops happening daily? You water may be lacking sufficient buffers to keep at a stable ph- the 24hr test will help answer this.
Bhead707- what type of rocks did you try to add?

jlk said:
Hi Mikey! You would get more answers posting a new thread but ill try to help a bit- have you done a 24hr test of your tap with an airstone? Is your tank cycled? Ph drops during cycling are common. Are these drops happening daily? You water may be lacking sufficient buffers to keep at a stable ph- the 24hr test will help answer this.
Bhead707- what type of rocks did you try to add?

It had a mini cycle about two weeks ago but for the past week my numbers have been consistent

Hi Mikey! Do the 24hr tap water test with an airstone or bubbler & lets see how you ph looks after it gasses out.

jlk said:
Hi Mikey! Do the 24hr tap water test with an airstone or bubbler & lets see how you ph looks after it gasses out.

Alright I'll let you know ! My other tank 29 gallon that is in the process of still cycling has a ph of 7.6 and I use the same tap water :thinking:

no idea what the rocks were haha, this whole ph situation has got me all fuddled up, im going to be doing some experiments and testing the next few days to see if i can clear it up

and no worries about jacking the thread Mikey (y)

Back
Top Bottom