Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2003, 10:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What do I buy to feed catfish?

Old 07-13-2003, 11:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are all sorts of sinking foods available. Buy one that seems the most complete. For my cories I have 2 different ones. A complete one and a shrimp one and I alrenate during feedings. They will also eat left over flakes that make it to the bottom.

Old 07-13-2003, 11:23 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Be careful with the sinking pellets. If your catfish don't like the particular kind you get for them, it will end up sitting on the bottom and cause a huge mess (believe me, I know!!). Once you know which ones they like....it's usually a brand, buy as tkos suggests....fish need variety, so you should get more than one kind.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 11:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most catfish aren't too concerned about what is available as they are scavengers. Soemtimes they tend to nibble at food for awhile. That is why I make sure to only drop 1 tablet per catfish. So far my cories have been having a lovely dining experience.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:19 AM   #5

Baby Catfish

I have 8 catfish, they are 1" to 1.5 inches, I caught them from a local pond. I'm using BIO-BLEND tropical fish food, most of the food sink the food are little pellets, some float around the tank. The pellets are small enough for the cat's but some cat's spit them out. I hope they are eating.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:20 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cats tend to eat little bits then move on. They will keep coming back though. Like all fish you shouldn't over feed.

Watch out though as wild caught catfish might end up being huge. Things like channel catfish can reach 4 feet long and weigh 40 pounds.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:50 AM   #7

Quote:
I have 8 catfish, they are 1" to 1.5 inches, I caught them from a local pond.
You are probably keeping these fish illegally. Most, if not all, states require permits of some kind to keep fish from the wild. However, unless you do something drastic, I doubt you will be caught. Please check your state regulations, I don't like encouraging people to break the law.

OK, have you ID'd these cats? Any idea what kind they are? That small they could be babies of a large variety catfish, or they could be what's known as "Madtoms" a very small type of catfish that mostly don't get larger than 2-5 inches.

Inso far as feeding goes, I'd get them some earthworms. Just dig some up from the garden, they will likely love them. feed worms and pellets at the same time, they should learn to eat the pellets too. Be very careful not to overfeed.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:50 PM   #8

Pond Cats

corvuscorax, thanks for the law advice, I will research it. Also if I can take clear pictures of the cats can you help me identify them? Can I e-mail them to you? The largest one I've ever seen from the pond was 10" long, I believe that's as big as these get.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:01 PM   #9

Yeah sure, post pics here if you can. I have a few Native fish books, I can probably give you an ID.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

www.planetcatfish.com
Post the pics there in their ID forum and you are sure to get the right anwser. Those guys are amazing with how much they know.

RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catfish, feed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com