What do I buy to feed catfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are all sorts of sinking foods available. Buy one that seems the most complete. For my cories I have 2 different ones. A complete one and a shrimp one and I alrenate during feedings. They will also eat left over flakes that make it to the bottom.

Be careful with the sinking pellets. If your catfish don't like the particular kind you get for them, it will end up sitting on the bottom and cause a huge mess (believe me, I know!!). Once you know which ones they like....it's usually a brand, buy as tkos suggests....fish need variety, so you should get more than one kind.

Most catfish aren't too concerned about what is available as they are scavengers. Soemtimes they tend to nibble at food for awhile. That is why I make sure to only drop 1 tablet per catfish. So far my cories have been having a lovely dining experience.

Baby Catfish

I have 8 catfish, they are 1" to 1.5 inches, I caught them from a local pond. I'm using BIO-BLEND tropical fish food, most of the food sink the food are little pellets, some float around the tank. The pellets are small enough for the cat's but some cat's spit them out. I hope they are eating.

Cats tend to eat little bits then move on. They will keep coming back though. Like all fish you shouldn't over feed.

Watch out though as wild caught catfish might end up being huge. Things like channel catfish can reach 4 feet long and weigh 40 pounds.

I have 8 catfish, they are 1" to 1.5 inches, I caught them from a local pond.

You are probably keeping these fish illegally. Most, if not all, states require permits of some kind to keep fish from the wild. However, unless you do something drastic, I doubt you will be caught. Please check your state regulations, I don't like encouraging people to break the law.

OK, have you ID'd these cats? Any idea what kind they are? That small they could be babies of a large variety catfish, or they could be what's known as "Madtoms" a very small type of catfish that mostly don't get larger than 2-5 inches.

Inso far as feeding goes, I'd get them some earthworms. Just dig some up from the garden, they will likely love them. feed worms and pellets at the same time, they should learn to eat the pellets too. Be very careful not to overfeed.

Pond Cats

corvuscorax, thanks for the law advice, I will research it. Also if I can take clear pictures of the cats can you help me identify them? Can I e-mail them to you? The largest one I've ever seen from the pond was 10" long, I believe that's as big as these get.

Yeah sure, post pics here if you can. I have a few Native fish books, I can probably give you an ID.

Back
Top Bottom