what do I do with the pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm one of those lucky (sarcasm) people who bought a pleco before knowing how giant they get. Mine is one of the kinds that does indeed get very large and I'm not getting a 125gallon tank for it. Sorry if that makes me a jerk but that's a ton of money for one fish. So, what are my options? The pet store won't take it back.

find an LFS that will take it, or post an add in the paper for someone with a larger tank that can take it

In the tank I inherited from the previous home owner, I had this issue. I gave it to someone with a 125g tank.

However, I have returned plecos and goldfish to the LFS before, they may not credit you for it, but I'm sure you can find someone who will take it.

Depending on how big it is you can probably sell it for $20 max. Try posting on www.gcca.net in the classifieds section. You may find someone in the Chicago area to take it off of your hands. I wouldn't kill it if it were that big. Instead I'd be tempted to do a no-no and release it into a river.

You could also check with your local fish club. There are most likely several members that would be willing to take him. There are many options, craigslist, other lfs's. Don't release it into the wild.

Yeah, I won't be killing it or releasing it into the wild. It's only about 3 inches long right now so I'm sure I'll be able to find it a new home before his size becomes an issue. He's a very pretty fish. I'm not sure exactly what kind of pleco but he's mostly brown and has black mottled markings all over, etc.

Yeah, I won't be killing it or releasing it into the wild. It's only about 3 inches long right now so I'm sure I'll be able to find it a new home before his size becomes an issue. He's a very pretty fish. I'm not sure exactly what kind of pleco but he's mostly brown and has black mottled markings all over, etc.

Photo will help with the ID of this fish.

Oh, thanks but I don't need him to be identified. I was just saying he's pretty and its too bad I have to get rid of him, but oh well.

Oh, thanks but I don't need him to be identified. I was just saying he's pretty and its too bad I have to get rid of him, but oh well.

I think what TJ is saying is that you should know what kind of pleco you have before you decided to get rid of it because there are quite a few species of pleco that stay relatively small...some getting as large as 3 inches. You may have a female BN pleco, for example, and don't need to get rid of her. By the way you described the coloration it could very well be one of those....or it could be one of several others. I think it's a good idea as well to post a pic of the fish if you aren't sure what kind it is.

img_885776_0_8bc67615509d01464975dbfa01de2d4d.jpg

Here's my pleco. So, what kind is he? :)

Let me know if you need a different pic.

thats not a common pleco at leat... it looks like a Rio de Para Pleco (L-75) but those are awfuly expensvie

I just saw a picture online of a pleco that looks exactly like mine. It was labeled as a common pleco. Oh well

Back
Top Bottom