What do i put in my media baskets??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearchumjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have a 55 gal freshwater tank. I have a Marineland emporer 400. I was putting peat moss in the filter to try to lower pH. Gave up on that. Anyway, what should I put in the media baskets? I do weekly 15 gal pwc's using RODI and tap water (to level out the pH and the nitrates in my tap water). I have live plants. Some platies, endlers, neon and rummy nose tetras, ghost shrimp, mts and zebra nerite snails. My water always looks clear. I do get some algae on the glass and plants- hence the snails. Anywho- what should I use?

You could put some bio media such as biomax and/or some mechanical media such as filter floss or a sponge and/or chemical media such as activated carbon. I myself use biomax and sponges.

calfishguy said:
You could put some bio media such as biomax and/or some mechanical media such as filter floss or a sponge and/or chemical media such as activated carbon. I myself use biomax and sponges.

How do they benefit my tank? I understand bio media will promote bacteria growth. I read something about something called purigen (or something). What is that?

Honestly all you need is some mechanical filtration like sponge and floss to filter out larger particles of waste and then fill the rest up with biomedia like ceramic rings, bioballs, pot scrubbies, more sponge, etc. Purigen is basically just like carbon but you can recharge it and use it again.

Mumma.of.two said:
Honestly all you need is some mechanical filtration like sponge and floss to filter out larger particles of waste and then fill the rest up with biomedia like ceramic rings, bioballs, pot scrubbies, more sponge, etc. Purigen is basically just like carbon but you can recharge it and use it again.

Oh ok. Maybe I'll get floss for one basket and ... When you say sponge, what kind? Chunks of natural sponge you can buy for your shower gel or just some that you would buy for dishes? Or is there a kind at the pet store I should get? I figure since I have the baskets I may as well use them.

Bearchumjs said:
Oh ok. Maybe I'll get floss for one basket and ... When you say sponge, what kind? Chunks of natural sponge you can buy for your shower gel or just some that you would buy for dishes? Or is there a kind at the pet store I should get? I figure since I have the baskets I may as well use them.

I use large car wash sponges but you can use any sponge that doesn't have stuff in it to inhibit bacteria or mould growth. A lot of kitchen sponges have that so I'd steer away from them. If you're unsure probably best to get them at your LFS. What I like to have is course sponge, then floss, then biomedia. That way a lot of the waste is caught by the mechanical filtration keeping the biomedia cleaner.

Mumma.of.two said:
I use large car wash sponges but you can use any sponge that doesn't have stuff in it to inhibit bacteria or mould growth. A lot of kitchen sponges have that so I'd steer away from them. If you're unsure probably best to get them at your LFS. What I like to have is course sponge, then floss, then biomedia. That way a lot of the waste is caught by the mechanical filtration keeping the biomedia cleaner.

Awesome! Thank you!

When I had my emperor 400's, I took out the baskets and just ran 4 pads. Worked great. The wheels will take care of bio load, just need more mechanical filtration. Only add chemical filtration if its really needed. IMO.

Back
Top Bottom