Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: What do the other people in your life think of your fish addiction..erm..hobby?
Pretend they don't care, but are as much or more obsessed then you 7 17.50%
Actively dislike fish 0 0%
Couldn't care less 23 57.50%
Love them just as much 10 25.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2003, 12:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

What do the others in your life think of your fish?

I'm curious if others here are in the same boat as I.

My hubby professes not to care too much about the fish. That being said, he is more obsessed over their behavior, sneaks them food when I'm not home, and has currently taught my gouramis to nibble his fingers and let him pet them (eeek!). Most recently, 2 of my angels have started some pre-pairing behavior, and I get updates about what they've done during the day when I get home from work LOL

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 01:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Well I have a 45 gallon tank with 2 4-5 inch oscars (One a tiger and the other a red), and soon will have a pleco in there. My roomate and fiance both think my babies have been quite beaten by the ugly stick. Myr oomate did get excited that I was going to add a pleco, but thats about it. When they heard I was actively searching for a much bigger tank, a 100+ or so... they got REALLY excited thinking I was going to add more fish... which I actually never considered. When they heard me say that I wasn;t planning on adding more fish.. both frowned and my other friends and parents said that it was retarded to get more tank but no fish (aka they want me to get rid of the oscars and make a community tank).

My oscars are funny.. especially one and the people in my life have seen them do crazy things like Gringo (the red oscar) trying to swollow my pinky after accidently getting it instead of the food stick. Apparently I am a personality fish lover whiel everyone else are scenery fish poeple, if hey were to be fish people at all. Oh well

Old 10-04-2003, 01:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wife likes them just as much, but likes to complain about the high costs of buying all the stuff she finds at the lfs's.

Cat is fascinated by them, and watches the tanks more that the TV.

- - Aquipment --
010gal Glass Tank-QT/Hospital
015gal Glass Tank-Partitioned Fish Jail
33gal Glass Tank-South American Cichlids {Angels)
120gal Glass Tank-Mixed Malawi Rift
small Koi/goldfish pond
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 03:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Husband: Thinks they are just "okay." He definitely likes the Platies/Mollies/Catfish much more than the guppies I had 8 yrs ago. Tonight he spent 1/2-hour trying to take pictures of them for my (future) Gallery here, haha! Is also amused (alarmed?!) at the mounting costs of this new hobby of mine I told him my dream was to one day have a 100-gallon tank at the foot of our bed so we could watch that instead of the TV!

4 1/2-yr old: Loves the fish as much as I do, especially when she gets to feed them and they all go crazy at the surface. If I left it up to her she'd be feeding them every hour! She's my big helper when I am moving plants around the tank.

17-month old: Goes too crazy for them, and it scares the fish 8O She goes right up to the tank and sticks her face an inch from the glass, then starts yelling "Na! Na! Na!" The fish all go swimming behind the rocks and stay there till she leaves.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

My wife. Not bothered. She grew up with huge fish tanks which her parents kept for almost 15 years until she and her sister left home. She remembers the cleaning bit and she is staying well clear of it. Her parents are the ones that gave me the old skool advise of "if s*** sticks to there arses its fed too much."

My 7 year old daughter fascination for the tank is shared with her fascination for toy dolly homes, toys, books, computer games and those silly McDonald kiddies toys. Fleeting.

The 8 year old cat (been in family before my daughter) not intrested. I actually bought the tank for the cat (!!) as I thought it would be fun watching the cat trying to get at the fishes thru the glass. LOL
Old 10-04-2003, 10:11 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
My wife calls me a freak. hense the name i use here.

But secretly I know she likes them aswell.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 10:31 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh, you're gonna love this story guys! My hubby says to me, they're just fish Rose. What can you possibly do with fish? Of course, then he sneaks into the kitchen (where my 20 gal community is) and just stares and stares. So, I got him good a few days ago.

See, I've been sick for over a week and haven't been able to go to my lfs. (I'm usually in there at least once a week) So, on Thursday I was feeling a little better and headed on up to Sandy's. While there I saw these beautiful little cardinal tetras and bought 5 of them. Well, I happened to have overheard my hubby once saying he thought neons were cool. And since these cardinals are twice as cool, I plcaed them in the tank and didn't say anything. I just wanted to let him notice on his own.

He sees them and tried to act like he had no clue! I told him I bought them for him to enjoy. He says yeah, right and tried to act all nonchalant. Of course, then he went and fed them Brine shrimp! And I hear him on the phone tellin his buddy about "his" new fish! Go figure!
Old 10-04-2003, 10:42 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Terry Send a message via MSN to Terry
One minute my wife likes them and then the next she don't, but that is a women for you. Never will understand women hahahahah.

I have had many fish tanks over the years, from 8gal (12x10x10) to 450gal (144x36x24) this is UK-gallons of coarse. At one time i had 14 tanks in my house and the wife was getting a bit cheesed off with it all, so we come to a compromise and now i only have 2 tanks at home but i do have a shop so no complaining on my part.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 12:32 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

My husband appreciates the fish and comments on new behaviors, and asks questions about what I am doing, but he basically thinks of them as a lovely thing to look at, like art, and does not care about the chemistry, compatibility and balance that I am so concerned with. He actually got me my 55-gal tank for my birthday one year, and the next Mother's Day he got me a 12-gal for my desk.

The rest of my family and friends think I am crazy and obsessed, and don't really understand MTS. It was fine when I just had one tank, but when I started getting more and more they thought I was out of my mind, and gave me my nickname!
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 02:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ostrichkiller Send a message via MSN to ostrichkiller
i got into this after i went to a meeting at my district office and my boss had set up a small 30 gal. i father works there and told me that it is alot more work than i could do and i could never have the fish live longer than a couple weeks. first time he saw my tank was after i had just gotten a light case of ich and he got to see one of the fish dead and kinda said i told you so. well last night he got to see my tank flurishing. he told me he was told from my boss that you should only have 1 fish per 10 gallons of water, and kinda looked cocky that he knew that and i didn't. i told him in my bosses tank that will work because of the fish he has but i have more of a cummunity tank with tetras as pretty much the main fish. and showed him this websight and got to rub it in nicely how much i know (thanks to all of you)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com