What do these water tests mean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScaryFatKidGT

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I got a full water test kit when setting up my 150 and I tested my 29 at like 80ppm nitrates because I had not don't a water change in a while and was curious, I tested it a couple more times at around 40ppm. I do water changes now on a weekly basis and just tested everything to see.

My 20g hospital with a sick rainbow shark at 0 nitrates, my 29 with 1 hillstream (2 died) and 6 giant danios and 1 java fern and a bunch of algae (I guess aqueon modular LED's do have enough light lol) at 0ppm, both I did 5g water changes on yesterday.

Now heres the kicker this weekend I didn't have time to do a change on my 150g and guess what 0ppm nitrates... I have done this test before, I didn't do anything stupid like using the wrong bottles or anything... is this because I have 3 jungle vals? I have 9 turquoise rainbows, a 7" pleco and a pictus in this tank.

Also I had previously tested my PH at 7.2-7.6ish on the PH test and was pretty sure it was around there but to make sure I used the highrange PH.... GOT 8.2... Almost 8.4, lets say 8.275?.... now I know a stable PH is better than a lower fluctuating one but isn't that kind of high? I have 3 large pieces of drift wood in the 150 and a smaller piece in the 29 should I be looking into RO water or something?

The ph will be fine. I would look at the nitrate test again though. Its rare that you will get a 0 reading on nitrate unless your tank is very heavily planted. However, its simple to get a reading of 0 if the bottles arent shaken enough. Try a retest and see what your trates are at now.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Water Testing

Hello Scary...

If you're able and willing to change the tank water more often than every once in a while, you won't need to be concerned with the chemical makeup of your tank water.

Nitrates up to around 50 ppm is as high as your fish can comfortably tolerate. Lower is always better. A water pH between 6 and 8.5 is fine for most fish you get at the pet store.

By changing half the tank water every week in smaller tanks and every 2 in the larger ones, you'll guarantee a stable water chemistry. That's what your fish need, not a particular chemistry.

Try those larger and more frequent water changes and you'll have no tank water problems.

B

Nitrates up to around 50 ppm is as high as your fish can comfortably tolerate.

And many species can't tolerate half that level over the long term.

I'd suggest trying to keep them below 20 ppm, especially if you have sensitive fish like discus or rams.

The ph will be fine. I would look at the nitrate test again though. Its rare that you will get a 0 reading on nitrate unless your tank is very heavily planted. However, its simple to get a reading of 0 if the bottles aren't shaken enough. Try a retest and see what your trates are at now.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Well after sitting, that test from last weekend 2 looked more like 5ppm but the one still was what I would call 0 from my big tank that hadn't had the water changed.

I shook the second bottle pretty good like it says too, I will retest tomorrow BEFORE my water changes.

Are you sure that PH is fine? Normally I wasn't one of those people who worry about it but I didn't realize the water here was that high...

Hello Scary...

If you're able and willing to change the tank water more often than every once in a while, you won't need to be concerned with the chemical makeup of your tank water.

Nitrates up to around 50 ppm is as high as your fish can comfortably tolerate. Lower is always better. A water pH between 6 and 8.5 is fine for most fish you get at the pet store.

By changing half the tank water every week in smaller tanks and every 2 in the larger ones, you'll guarantee a stable water chemistry. That's what your fish need, not a particular chemistry.

Try those larger and more frequent water changes and you'll have no tank water problems.

B
I can do weekly water changes but not half... 150g is pretty big, plus it would mess with the plants if I drained the tank half way down. I was more worried about how a achieved 0 nitrates as plants need those and they are the main reason for changing water as they are bad for fish.

Scary,

What are your ammonia levels?

Are you using any fets?
Ammonia and nitrates should be 0 tanks been going for 2 months and was started with eco complete and filters from my other tanks. I use Flourish and Flourish excel right now.

And many species can't tolerate half that level over the long term.

I'd suggest trying to keep them below 20 ppm, especially if you have sensitive fish like discus or rams.
Yeah I was more worried about my plants with it that low? I have 9 Rainbows, a pleco, pictus cat, 6 ghost glass cat fish and 4 clownloachs and that all I'm planning on having, even a little more stocked than I would of liked but thats how it ended up.

I can do weekly water changes but not half... 150g is pretty big, plus it would mess with the plants if I drained the tank half way down. I was more worried about how a achieved 0 nitrates as plants need those and they are the main reason for changing water as they are bad for fish.

I wouldn't do 50% water changes all at once anyway. Fish don't like abrupt changes in water chemistry, and would be happier with 2 x 25% changes over the same time period. In a planted tank that size, you should be able to get away with 25% changes every week or so.

Yeah I was more worried about my plants with it that low? I have 9 Rainbows, a pleco, pictus cat, 6 ghost glass cat fish and 4 clownloachs and that all I'm planning on having, even a little more stocked than I would of liked but thats how it ended up.

I can't explain why you're getting such low nitrate readings, but I doubt that you have 0 ppm nitrates in your tank. My guess is that your plants will do fine in tank water that has 10-20 ppm nitrates.

Well I took another reading yesterday before the water change and it was around 40ppm id say 35.

PH from the tap wasn't even on the high range PH scale but the tank was reading 8.2 now. It was like see thought gray not purple like before.

Back
Top Bottom