What do you all think about desert goby, mystery snails...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonGobySista

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been thinking about setting up a 40 gallon long, short FW tank. I am really wanting to have a m/F pair of gold Australian gobies, an Ivory, magenta, blue and gold pomacea bridgesii/mystery snails. I also thought I could add an albino Cory cat. WalMart(who I son trust) says that albino Cory cats can do well as a single, 3 or more. By I know most Corie's like to school in 6+, so the Cory cat would probably not be a good idea right? I am eager to find out what you all think.

BTW I was gonna put a sand bed mix of aragonite or very fine crush coral & fine aquarium sand and some smooth river stones for the snails and for the goby to perch on. a few inches maybe. I wanted a long and short aquarium mainly for the desert gobies. U know they like to swim up to the surface to breath and because they don't have a swim bladder? the shorter the distance to the surface the better. In the wild they live in really shallow waters in deserts. I was gonna plant it with Marimo moss balls (I love them). I always put a filter larger than the tank size. I have a 10 gallon now with a 20-30gallon filter. So for the 40 gallon was thinking about a 45+ HoB. A few rocks and decor for caves.

I'm probably not going to add the albino Cory cat, but definetley want the gobies and mystery snails. I'm sure it'll be fine, I'm just worried because male desert gobies I hear are somewhat aggressive with the same and different species. Don't want them to harm my mystery snails. Oh is 40 too small? Could I go smaller or larger being that if I have baby gobies and snails.

Thank you in advance!

Do desert gobys like hard water? The substrates you mentioned are going to make your water hard which is good for the snails but I don't know about the gobys. Probably not good for the corys and yes they need to be in groups of 5+.

Thank you. I have read they are brackish in some cases. But they thrive in freshwater like streams and such. The ones im looking at are aquarium breavin freshwatet and the seller insists that those are strictly fresh.

I love mystery snails and i didn wan to add the desert gobies to my future 55-77gallon brackish dragon goby tank with 2 creamsicle lyretail mollies, a tiger nerite and Virginia nerite(colorful not THE olive ones), an was thinking about a trio of amano shrimp. Even then it might be a bit tight.

BTW that hair algae was nasty, smelly of dead snails and this tiny little snail/octopus looking this.

Anyhow thank you....any other thoughts at ar appreciated.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/chlamydogobius-eremius/

This says they can live and breed in freshwater as long as the water isn't soft and acidic, or withstand high salinity brackish water. They seem really adaptable given the area that they are from is constantly changing and harsh.

I know nothing about them and compatibility but I'd think snails would be fine. It's not like snails would be running to compete them for food and snails don't set territories so if they were attacked I'm sure they'd go in their shells then slide away to another area.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom