What do you do about power outages?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TwoFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have three tanks:

A Ten gallon planted guppy & black phantom tetras, A five gallon planted with endlers, and a fourty-six gallon bow-front community tank. All parameters are normal, all fish healthy. The 46 gallon is a little overstocked, but I'm religious about keeping an eye on my water parameters and performing PWC when needed (it rarely is).

Last night a car accident took out our power for seven hours between midnight and seven a.m.. It's my first major power outage with tanks.

The two planted upstairs tanks were fine. But my 46 gallon was clearly stressed and I've already lost one cory cat and one female threadfin rainbow fish as a result. Both the cory and the rainbow fish had distended gills and were gasping on the bottom of the tank when I came down in the morning, the other fish were swarmed at the top of the tank (even my secretive rams), which leads me to believe that it was an oxygen issue that killed the two fish.

My questions are these:

One: If the 46 gallon tank had been planted would the oxygen have not been as big a deal as it seems to have become during the power outage? The outage was overnight (Midnight-ish to seven in the morning), so I'm wondering if the plants in the upstairs tanks really made a difference, or if it's just that they are partially stocked tanks and so the fish couldn't have consumed all the oxygen in that amount of time.

Two: What can I do to prevent this sort of thing from happening again. Are people keeping their tanks on power backups? Is there some secret to keeping a tank healthy during a long power outage? Is it normal to lose fish after a long power outage?

Thanks for the help!

Yes the plants would of helped a bit but not greatly. there would be enough oxo in the water if it was egitated a bit. whenever this happens to me / I don't get big ones maybe a hour or two I stand there and stir the surface every 5 mins with a spoon to keep the oxo flowing

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It is very normal to lose fish this way, I worry more about the filters and the bacteria dying. I wouldn't think 7 hours without power cause so much havoc in your tank, that sucks, sorry to hear and I share your feelings.
I'm in NJ and a couple of years ago we got hit with Sandy, some people lost power for a week, we lost power 2 1/2 days. At the time I had an Angel tank which I had to do a few water changes trying to keep the temp up since it got pretty cold right after the storm. I also had an African cichlid tank that I pretty much gave up on and left alone, what surprised me was when the power came back and filters started running again, they all made it! I would have thought for sure they were goners, especially the Africans. I did some big water changes right after that though.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Good to know, especially if using a sponge filter.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

My wife's uncle has two large-ish salt water tanks in his rec room and five other small tanks in his laundry room (three are for growing coral, the other two are quarantine). He has two power generators that come on automatically when the power goes out.

Despite living in a place where power outages are relatively rare, I should invest in a battery-powered air pump. Thanks, mariano.

Yes the plants would of helped a bit but not greatly. there would be enough oxo in the water if it was egitated a bit. whenever this happens to me / I don't get big ones maybe a hour or two I stand there and stir the surface every 5 mins with a spoon to keep the oxo flowing

Really? lol

After 7 hours with no air it is normal to lose a fish nothing wrong

Huh I thought it would of taken a day or 2?

Get some air pumps with batteries.

Super cheap.
+1

Or a 120v battery pack, I dout you want to buy a gas generator haha

Back
Top Bottom