What do you do when you go on vacation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_Crazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have to go away next Friday morning, and I won't be back until Monday afternoon, so I won't be able to feed my fish for 3 nights. What options do I have? Thanks

Don't feed them at all. They will be fine. During the weekends our Africans do not get fed. And whatever you do, do NOT buy the vacation blocks. They are such a pain and usually make your water murky.

Fish are cold-blooded animals. As such, they have slower metabolisms and do not need to eat as much as mammals. They will be fine.

just wanted to chime in and agree that they will be just fine without food for up to a week. sometimes i will go a day or so without feeding when my life gets really hectic and i think it really helps control the algae and such in the tank and improve water quality. Chances are you will come home to a cyrstal clear tank!!! LOL.

Now i would say if you are planning on being gone for more than a week you would want someone to come at least twice a week to feed them a little bit. But if you did you would want to leave premeasured amounts and instruct the person to feed ONLY that amount of food.

i left for florida for a whole week and when i came back, my water was crystal clear, and all my fish were fine, didnt even look smaller or anything..

Acer said:
i left for florida for a whole week and when i came back, my water was crystal clear, and all my fish were fine, didnt even look smaller or anything..

I forgot to mention that when I left home for over a week, I came back to the cleanest water I have ever had. I think this is proof that we probably all feed more than our fish need, even if no food is being left uneaten.

thats true, i didnt measure the water quality, i came in right away and did a 20% pwc and the next day a 50% pwc, i was just paranoid

We go on two vacations every year. 7-10 days each. I don't feed or arrange visitations. When I get back, they are always fine. My lights are on timers, so other than food, they don't notice any change. I've never had to leave any borderline fish. I suppose if I had a tank that wasn't healthy I would use an automatic feeder before I would trust any of my family or friends to feed them, though.

Once, we went away for two week, and came home to find out the fish had eaten the family dog. But that was a unique situation, and that dog really had it coming.

Okay, yeah, I made that up.

bosk1 said:
Once, we went away for two week, and came home to find out the fish had eaten the family dog. But that was a unique situation, and that dog really had it coming.

Okay, yeah, I made that up.

bosk you crack me up :lol: I just wanted to say that i love your off the wall comments... reminds me of a friend that i don't get to spend much time with anymore.

:) I aim to please and amuse. Actually, when I posted that, I had just read your thread about the snakes, and had this image in my mind of your python trying to swallow your husband, so that's what sparked the thought.
img_576328_0_144d41047a7767c048648d1ec57bd1b6.gif

bosk1 said:
:) I aim to please and amuse. Actually, when I posted that, I had just read your thread about the snakes, and had this image in my mind of your python trying to swallow your husband, so that's what sparked the thought.
img_576403_0_144d41047a7767c048648d1ec57bd1b6.gif

ROFL... yeah well if he keeps letting it hang around his neck that just might happen one day... LOL... (well that's not likely with a ball python but it could choke him when it gets full grown. ) ***Stupid husband****

I rent a car or get around through public transportation, i buy a tour, sight seeing, explore, look into culture, food, history and alot alot alot of RR rest & relaxation.

I just read the full post and it is about fish lol three day vacation lol thats a teaser not a vacation lol

I have Ehiem autofeeders on my tank, so vacation or not my fish get fed like clockwork.

Back
Top Bottom