Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-13-2018, 08:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What do you feed your corys?

I've been trying to feed my corys algae wafers, but my guppies and barbs devour them and it seems like the corys don't get very much of them. Any tips or other ideas for what to feed them?

Old 06-13-2018, 08:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaleesi_413 View Post
I've been trying to feed my corys algae wafers, but my guppies and barbs devour them and it seems like the corys don't get very much of them. Any tips or other ideas for what to feed them?
Cories are actually omnivorous. They will not onlt eat aglea tabs, but also meat products sech as blood worms. Having said that, i would crunch up some tropical fish flakes (just a little) and rub them under the surface in different locations around the tank when you drop in the tabs. If the other fish devour the tabs, the cories will gladly clean up the small flake particles throughout the bottom of the tank.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My tetras will do the same to my cories wafers if they get a chance. I use Hikari micro pellets for the tetra and sprinkle these at one side of the tank so they all rush to the surface for them, then I drop a couple of Hikari sinking wafers in the other side for my cories. The tetra are usually too distracted to notice.

It also helps that the sinking wafers take a little bit of time so soften up so the tetra can't eat them if they do try
Old 06-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal_irony View Post
My tetras will do the same to my cories wafers if they get a chance. I use Hikari micro pellets for the tetra and sprinkle these at one side of the tank so they all rush to the surface for them, then I drop a couple of Hikari sinking wafers in the other side for my cories. The tetra are usually too distracted to notice.

It also helps that the sinking wafers take a little bit of time so soften up so the tetra can't eat them if they do try
I do try to distract the others with flakes then drop the wafers in but the find the wafers right after the flakes are gone.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
I do try to distract the others with flakes then drop the wafers in but the find the wafers right after the flakes are gone.
Try the pill splitting method. Break each wafer into small pieces and sprinkle the pieces throughout the tank at the same time as the flakes. The cories will have a better chance to feed while the rest of the fish are on an easter egg hunt for the food.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I throw them in after the lights have been out for a little. Most fish will be asleep but cories and plecos will usually still be sniffing around for food lol
Old 06-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try Omega One Super Color Cichlid Pellets "Small / Sinking".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180613_100918.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	309278  
Old 06-13-2018, 11:36 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
You may also try the sinking shrimp pellets. Cories love them.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
I throw them in after the lights have been out for a little. Most fish will be asleep but cories and plecos will usually still be sniffing around for food lol
That's a good idea. I've been thinking about doing that but wasn't sure if corys are active when the lights are off.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I feed my cory Hikari sinking wafers but my neon tetras keep eating them.
My cory isn't touching them for some reason.

Tags
cory, corys, feed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com