What do you feed your corys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khaleesi_413

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been trying to feed my corys algae wafers, but my guppies and barbs devour them and it seems like the corys don't get very much of them. Any tips or other ideas for what to feed them?

I've been trying to feed my corys algae wafers, but my guppies and barbs devour them and it seems like the corys don't get very much of them. Any tips or other ideas for what to feed them?
Cories are actually omnivorous. They will not onlt eat aglea tabs, but also meat products sech as blood worms. Having said that, i would crunch up some tropical fish flakes (just a little) and rub them under the surface in different locations around the tank when you drop in the tabs. If the other fish devour the tabs, the cories will gladly clean up the small flake particles throughout the bottom of the tank.

My tetras will do the same to my cories wafers if they get a chance. I use Hikari micro pellets for the tetra and sprinkle these at one side of the tank so they all rush to the surface for them, then I drop a couple of Hikari sinking wafers in the other side for my cories. The tetra are usually too distracted to notice.

It also helps that the sinking wafers take a little bit of time so soften up so the tetra can't eat them if they do try [emoji16]

My tetras will do the same to my cories wafers if they get a chance. I use Hikari micro pellets for the tetra and sprinkle these at one side of the tank so they all rush to the surface for them, then I drop a couple of Hikari sinking wafers in the other side for my cories. The tetra are usually too distracted to notice.

It also helps that the sinking wafers take a little bit of time so soften up so the tetra can't eat them if they do try [emoji16]
I do try to distract the others with flakes then drop the wafers in but the find the wafers right after the flakes are gone.

I do try to distract the others with flakes then drop the wafers in but the find the wafers right after the flakes are gone.
Try the pill splitting method. Break each wafer into small pieces and sprinkle the pieces throughout the tank at the same time as the flakes. The cories will have a better chance to feed while the rest of the fish are on an easter egg hunt for the food.

I throw them in after the lights have been out for a little. Most fish will be asleep but cories and plecos will usually still be sniffing around for food lol

Try Omega One Super Color Cichlid Pellets "Small / Sinking".

Attachments

• 20180613_100918.jpg
    20180613_100918.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 88
You may also try the sinking shrimp pellets. Cories love them.

I throw them in after the lights have been out for a little. Most fish will be asleep but cories and plecos will usually still be sniffing around for food lol
That's a good idea. I've been thinking about doing that but wasn't sure if corys are active when the lights are off.

I feed my cory Hikari sinking wafers but my neon tetras keep eating them.
My cory isn't touching them for some reason.

I bought a bag of catfish food online that I thought was a good deal. Nothing would eat it. My cory catfish just nibble on small crumbs of flakes that make it to the bottom. They're nice and fat and hyperactive. Alway grazing together on the substrate.
I feed my cory Hikari sinking wafers but my neon tetras keep eating them.
My cory isn't touching them for some reason.

I'm with finnipper. Wafers are too much. Shrimp pellets, although nutritious, can foul a tank faster than any fish food I've ever tried. Corys will survive on leftover flake crumbs or small grain sinking pellets.

I have pygmy cories and they enjoy live blackworms as a treat. Otherwise, various wafers, NLS micro pellets, and flakes.

I bought a bag of catfish food online that I thought was a good deal. Nothing would eat it. My cory catfish just nibble on small crumbs of flakes that make it to the bottom. They're nice and fat and hyperactive. Alway grazing together on the substrate.
Put a few flakes in that are crunched pretty small under the water surface between your finger and rub so they will sink whe you feed the regular flakes. The other fish will go for the larger flakes. The cories have pretty small mouths and will graze the bottom for the small bits.

I bought the Wardley shrimp pellets for them. I put a few in the tank at night and they're gone in the morning. I'm hoping it's the corys that are eating them and not the other fish. I'm assuming since the corys are still alive and pooping that they're getting some food somewhere [emoji28]

I buy frozen blood worms and beef hearts defrost and wash them off very well with tap water. Once they are clean I mix it all up in a bowl with water from the Aquarium and put them in an ice cube tray to freeze. Once a week I’ll drop one or two of these in and while they float the tetras and loaches eat until they are full and make a huge mess leaving a nice amount of food for my 6 cories at the bottom of the tank!

This is the tray I use, works great.
022217 Bene-Fish-Al Fish Food 90 Cube Fish Food Tray , 90 Cube Tray, 1Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ALMVXD4?ref=yo_pop_ma_swfIMG_0160.jpg

Back
Top Bottom