What do you guys think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CalypsoGuppy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so lets just say I really like breeding guppies and seeing what the offspring come out to look like :fish2: I know, weird right? So I was wondering if any of you guys had ideas on types of guppies (color) that you guys think I should "make" :ermm: The main guppies that I have are Cobalt blue, cobalt blue mixed with orange tail and yellow snakeskins
Thanks guys :)

Ok so lets just say I really like breeding guppies and seeing what the offspring come out to look like :fish2: I know, weird right? So I was wondering if any of you guys had ideas on types of guppies (color) that you guys think I should "make" :ermm: The main guppies that I have are Cobalt blue, cobalt blue mixed with orange tail and yellow snakeskins
Thanks guys :)

If you really like that, why not start with wild type guppies and try to breed your own strain of fancies?

wgup3.jpg

+1 on getting some wild types. You could really play around with genetics and natural selection here.

I saw some awesome guppies recently that my neighbour had. I can't remember the name of the strain he had for them but they were like a lyre tail but with a third branch. At the end of each branch was a small club they were really cool. Had these transparent stomachs too.

Woah thats cool guys! Thanks a bunch c: Im gonna add some lyre tails to my tank and see where that takes me. I also added a black male to see if the orange,blue and yellow get mixed in with some black.

I have a cool name: Tangerine Moonlight :D But then you have to make it look like that. Maybe a nice black head and thin traces of orange along the lateral of the fish. Or vice versa. I'm doing something like this with guppies for my 10th grade personal project. Good luck!

Woah thats cool guys! Thanks a bunch c: Im gonna add some lyre tails to my tank and see where that takes me. I also added a black male to see if the orange,blue and yellow get mixed in with some black.

If you're breeding guppies have a specific tail and color set in mind before you start breeding. When they get mixed randomly, their colorations tend to start getting ugly and they start reverting to looking like the picture I showed you.

If you're breeding guppies have a specific tail and color set in mind before you start breeding. When they get mixed randomly, their colorations tend to start getting ugly and they start reverting to looking like the picture I showed you.

Mebbid has a good point there. All the chain store guppies I see aren't great looking fish not to mention deformities.

Get some good stock, if you got some wild type as well it would help achieve the style you want as there would be less genetic traits to breed out to achieve the desired style. Also don't forget to mix the stock up every 7-8 spawns to avoid deformities.

Guppies aren't hard to breed-- they're hard to breed right. Keeping a strain is pretty difficult, which is why I concur with Mebbid in that you should start with wilds. Much more forgiving that way.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom