What do you think of Gouramies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy1954

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Easy fish to care for? How big do they get? Are they aggressive to other fish?

Thanks

I have two dwarf male gouramis (red fire and blue). they max out at about 3".........They both leave the other fish completely alone, though I see them chasing each other from time to time out of 'their space'.

They are absolutely stunning looking FW fish and my 2 favorites.

There are lots of types of gouramis and they vary a lot in their maximum size. I think the best way is for you to at a few varieties and see what you like and is appropriately sized, then ask here for recommendations.

i have three dwarf male gouramis. one red and two blue. *had another red but he passed on from lonliness* i have never had a problem with them with themselves or any other fish. They are very nice and they all hang out together no problems.
And they are very nice looking fish. I got them and i was like ok. when the light hits them the color is just so nice.
I love my gouramis.

yeah in the store they looked kinda dull, at home under my flourescent lights, they look like they are glowing, they are so colorful and bright.

As said above, there are many types of gouramis that get all different sizes. If you are going to put 2 dwarf gouramis in a tank, it should be a good size tank, like 20g because males can sometimes fight. Above though there are a couple people who have more than one male and don't seem to have any problems. I wasn't that lucky though.

Blue gouramis are probably the most aggressive, IMO, but most of them won't kill other fish, they'll just chase them. My Opaline/Blue gourami chases my neons.

Pearl gouramis are very pretty and probably one of the most peaceful types. Honey gouramis are supposed to be peaceful also.

Some gouramis get hugh, like Kissing gouramis and Snakeskins, so if you have one in mind to get for your tank, I'd ask here just to make sure you have the appropriate size tank for the one you get.

If you want more than one and your tank is big enough, I'd get a trio. The aggression between the males (usually all you find in LFS) will be spread out more with 3 then it would be with 2.

Well i have 1 dwarf gourami thats is very aggressive, i have 1 blue that is calm and nice, and i have 1 pearl gourami that will try and kill anything it can lol, but they are ment to be nice and peaceful, i have strange fish, like my pleco that for some reason love bloodworm, well it may not eat them i dont now, but he always swims to it and buts it in its mouth LOL???

Well i have 1 dwarf gourami thats is very aggressive, i have 1 blue that is calm and nice, and i have 1 pearl gourami that will try and kill anything it can lol
What are you feeding your fish that makes them so out of character? Just kidding...

Well I guess you never know the "fishonality" of the certain fish you get. Some may be just like people say, some may not be. I have heard alot more stories of blue gouramis being the mean ones though.

I guess its hit or miss with gouramis....so buy carefully.

Well my experience with Opaline Gourami's is this:

#1. They will out grow a 10g.
#2. Two males don't play nice together.
#3. There are rather aggressive ones. Mine has been responsible for 5 shrimp deaths, 2 Neon Tetras, and a suspect in the murder of an Oto. He avoid death row thanks to a loving owner (me).

If I were to ever get another, it would be a Dwarf Gourami. They seem more peaceful and don't grow as large.

I love my little, teeny sparkling gouramis. They are about 2 inches long and get no larger. Subtle but beautiful coloration, and they have the same personality as the larger ones. They watch you go by the tank, follow a finger, eat from your hand, "hunt" food off the driftwood and filter intakes, and are just all-round interesting to watch. I have three, not sure of sexes. I tried to get a male and two females; two are duller in color than the third, so I think I might have succeeded. They squabble amongst themselves some, but no real aggression. 'course, they are in a 55 gallon tank!

If I had a larger tank I'd get moonlight gouramis-I think they are just incredible looking.

always found gouramis boring. how are their mating/parental behavior?

I have a male dwarf gourami and wish I had another one. They're a fish that's not terribly active and basically just likes to hang out. Very colorful though.

Back
Top Bottom