What does

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anthony96

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was thinking of buying some pool filter sand. Does it do anything to your tank like the pH or anything else

No it won't, but you will need to wash it many many times before adding it to remove the dust and keep the cloudyness down in your tank.

Ok thanks is it hard and can I add any other sand

Pool sand, play sand, 3m colorquartz/Estes are some of the regular ones used that are fish friendly. All of them should be rinsed well.

The pool filter sand and play sand are white and off white.. the colorquartz is a coal/black color.. looks amazing.

Syphon when cleaning? Or filter? When cleaning, yes it will.. best way around it is to just swirl the syphon in a circular motion above the sand and get the debris to float, then suck it up.

If your planning on plants, then getting the debris up isn't as big of an issue, the plants will use the nutrients provided

Is it only for marine tank or can it be for fresh water

anthony96 said:
Is it only for marine tank or can it be for fresh water

Should be good for both, but SW tends to use live sand so INS. I have PFS in 2 FW tanks & 1 BW tank and it works great. To clean it, put it in an old pillow case and rinse in the shower. I can clean about 20-25lbs in 10 minutes time.

You might want to research PGS, it's pretty light (small sharp grains) and I hear it can get into filters pretty easy and damage impellers. PFS doesn't have this issue IME.

Should be good for both, but SW tends to use live sand so INS. I have PFS in 2 FW tanks & 1 BW tank and it works great. To clean it, put it in an old pillow case and rinse in the shower. I can clean about 20-25lbs in 10 minutes time.

You might want to research PGS, it's pretty light (small sharp grains) and I hear it can get into filters pretty easy and damage impellers. PFS doesn't have this issue IME.
too many acronyms

Back
Top Bottom