What else can I try with Ottos ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok its been a week+ since I had my Ottos. So far they have been grazing happily on algae in the tank. But now it seems they are out of algae and their tummies are not as fat as they were (remember - A fat Otto is a happy Otto?)

I have tried cucumber slices - but they have not touched it.
I have tried romaine lettuce - no luck .
they don't bother about algae tablets - which I drop for the loaches

What else can I feed these little monkeys?

Mine like squash, yellow and green. They also like melon like canalope and honeydew. Mine also eat hikari algae disks.

try zuch and cucumber with the skin on. fwiw mine passed on squash, asparagus (loaches and shrimp ate it though), and carrots. I weight all veggies to the bottom of the tank, and it may have something to do with success. I always cut thick chunks and stab it with a plant weight. After my first oto ate vegetables the rest followed. Keep trying :) Also, they may pass on the veggies until lights out.

I've also found they prefer Hikari "bottom feeder" to "algae" wafers.

Try brussel sprouts, too. :) They sink and they're always well-received by my pleco and snail. My goldfish like them, too.

Mine ate nuked celery after it had been in the tank over 12 hours. At first they completely ignored it.

oh right.... i heard your suppose to boil or freeze the lettuce to make it softer..

Back
Top Bottom