WHAT exactly is CYCLING?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your fish produce waste in the form of ammonia, both through solide waste and also excreting it from their gills as well. This ammonia builds up in concentration to leathal levels and would generally killt he fish in a small space like an aquarium. But along comes a nice bacteria that eat the ammonia and gives off nitrite. This would also build up and kill the fish but a new bacteria comes that eats nitrites and produces nitrates which in small amounts are perfectly safe for fish. Before you let those nitrate levels get to dangerous levels you doa water change.

So the cycle is actually a short version of "The Nitrogen Cycle".

If you already have fish int he aquarium and the cycle is starting (it is never finsihed so much as working correctly) then it is essential to do water changes so that the ammonia and nitrite levels never get the chance to build up to toxic levels. This is why test kits are so handy. Without a test kit I would be doing a small water change (10%) every other day for the first couple of weeks at least.

Here is the answer I wanted to write last night, but I was tired :)

A lot of people will ask, "Is the tank 'cycled'?" or "How did you 'cycle' the tank?". What they actually mean to ask is "Is the nitrification cycle started and stable?" or "What method did you use to begin and sustain the nitrification cycle?".

Common usage of the word suggests that to 'cycle' a tank is a one time thing, you do it in the beginning and then it is done. In reality, 'cycling' is just getting the cycle started, getting that nice crop of bacteria going that will sustain your water quality for your fish. You really don't see the 'ammonia eaters' and the 'nitrite eaters', but they are some of the most important members of your community. Without your trusty bacterial friends your fish will quickly sicken and die. You have to take their well being into account with everything you do to the tank as well.

This is why I HIGHLY recommend trying 'fishless' cycling. It allows one time to get to know one's bacteria, helps one see the tank as an entity in a way. The tank and all its little creatures need food and produces waste just as the fish do.

Here, here and here are articles I recommend you read if you are interested in 'fishless' cycling.

Okay, I'm new to this too.. let me get this straight.

You get the tank running, then add something that gives off ammonia. Bacteria will form and eat the ammonia and eventually it will become nitrate. You test the water over a period of a couple weeks and when the ammonia and nitrate levels are 0, the tank is safe for fish.

Right?

I read from that article you can drop in a fresh raw shrimp to kick this off. Does this apply to fresh water as well?

Shrimp or fish food will work but it is more easily controlled by using an ammonia solution.

Ammonia is consumed and is turned into nitrites, and nitrites are are in turn consumed and turned into nitrates. Nitrates are removed thru water changes.

Close BeerNinja; go check the article link I posted in your thread :)

But to clarify Enki's explanation (and so I get to use toilet word again *grin*), fish give off nitrogenous waste in their pee, poo and respiration in the form of ammonia. In fish tanks, that builds up quickly and kills em (burns their gills and skin and can suffocate em). Fortunately mother nature comes to the rescue in the form of bacteria which eat ammonia. Problem is, they produce nitrites which as also deadly to fish (competes with O2 and also suffocates em). Mother nature to the rescue again with another bacteria which eats nitrites and produces nitrates. Nitrates are not a problem in low amounts (under 40 ppm or so) and can easily be removed with water changes :)

You can also do whats called a "fishless" cycle, which involves adding an ammonia source and waiting for the bacteria to show up. By cycling a tank this way, you add the fish once the ammonia nitrites are zero, and nitrates are showing up; then the fish don't have to be exposed to high amounts of the dangerous nitrogenous wastes.

There is also a 3rd option which is pretty recent. Marineland came out with a product called Bio-Spira. Its the correct notrifying bacteria in a little bag; its added directly with the fish - instant cycled tank! ts the ONLY product I have found which works the way it claims to. Not everyone carries it, but one of our regulars owns a store and he ships *grin*

Enki said:
Shrimp or fish food will work but it is more easily controlled by using an ammonia solution.

Ammonia is consumed and is turned into nitrites, and nitrites are are in turn consumed and turned into nitrates. Nitrates are removed thru water changes.

Live Plants also export the nitrates, do they not?

Live plants use nitrates, but the nitrates actually stay in the tank as part of the plant. Nitrates don't leave 'til they are removed. I don't think the amount of nitrates used by plants is very great, unless you have good lighting, and a lot of plants. At least that is what I understand from my research :D

Actually, the plants will consume ammonia and nitrite before nitrate. I have set up two moderate to heavily planted tanks, and neither have had any measurable ammonia or nitrite. EVER.

That said, you have to use the RIGHT plants when you're starting out to get those results. Lots of fast growing stem plants, which you can later reduce in number once the other plants are thriving. And this doesn't mean the tank is cycled; in fact, it slows down the cycle considerably (since the bacteria has to compete with the plants for food). However, it makes the cycle safe for the fish because they're not exposed to the toxic levels of ammonia and nitrite.

I also used BioSpira twice--on my very first tank and on my 55 gallon cichlid tank. It has performed wonderfully both times, and ammonia and nitrite never rose above .5 with fairly heavy fishloads. In both instances, the tanks were completely cycled in less than two weeks.

BioSpira is a great product--I can't say enough about it. But if you can't find it and you don't want to do a fishless cycle, I can't recommend using live plants enough. Here's an article about the "silent cycle" that explains things a little better:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_newtank.htm

Back
Top Bottom