What excuses do you Use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeWidd

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have (2) 55g Cichlid setups, 40g Community, and a 20g breeder tank. The problem is I still have 2 more 55g and a 30g sitting out back. They are calling my name everyday. How do you guys sell this to your Wives/Girlfriends. I cooled off on the tanks for awhile earlier this year then I brought home a dog and 2 cats. She say's NO MORE, but come on guys you can never have enough tanks running.

Who's with me?

Uh ... This is going to open up a can of worms ... Oh well got worms, go fishing. To get your tanks, be ready to open up your $$$$$$. New shoes, purses etc don't come cheap!

jcolon said:
Uh ... This is going to open up a can of worms ... Oh well got worms, go fishing. To get your tanks, be ready to open up your $$$$$$. New shoes, purses etc don't come cheap!

Yep do some digging and investigating to figure out what she wants and make a deal. She gets what she wants if you get what you want. It's all about compromise :)

You can also try and find a fish that she really loves and then tell her well we can get it but we'd have to setup the spare 55 ;)

Lol dude.... You have anough tanks IMO. I personally hate having more then one tank... The house just looks messy to me...

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Lol dude.... You have anough tanks IMO. I personally hate having more then one tank... The house just looks messy to me...

Not if you have a fish room! One tank, one room what's the difference ;)

MikeWidd said:
I have (2) 55g Cichlid setups, 40g Community, and a 20g breeder tank. The problem is I still have 2 more 55g and a 30g sitting out back. They are calling my name everyday. How do you guys sell this to your Wives/Girlfriends. I cooled off on the tanks for awhile earlier this year then I brought home a dog and 2 cats. She say's NO MORE, but come on guys you can never have enough tanks running.

Who's with me?

Haha! My dude puts up with my addiction. I have 2 150g builds in the living room (6ft African Cichlid & 1 saltwater) 55g mixed African , 29g Peacock & syno, 20g & 10g fry tanks, 10g Betta/shrimp snails and last but not least a turtle, not really a fish but still in a tank :)

I just juggled everyone around the other day, upgrading some to larger tanks and separating some fish... That was totally not as fun as it sounds lol!

That's the thing, the community tank is pretty much hers. but she's got those Ghost catfish that don't do anything and guppies. I remodeled the bedroom, both bathrooms, and I am putting a 55 in the wall in the living room. I think I deserve it. I thinking a 55g Piranha tank.

MikeWidd said:
That's the thing, the community tank is pretty much hers. but she's got those Ghost catfish that don't do anything and guppies. I remodeled the bedroom, both bathrooms, and I am putting a 55 in the wall in the living room. I think I deserve it. I thinking a 55g Piranha tank.

You may want to consider a 75 depending on which species plus gives you a much better depth for scaping

Not if you have a fish room! One tank, one room what's the difference ;)

I like the way you think, only problem with that is it would have to be upstairs and I don't think the floor will hold all that weight.

75 is too small, considering I have 4 55's. I like jessicas idea. If I gotta fight, I might as well go BIG!

Sorry, you were talking about the Piranha...I got ya.

MikeWidd said:
I like the way you think, only problem with that is it would have to be upstairs and I don't think the floor will hold all that weight.

If more people thought like I did this world would be a much better place... Well, atleast I think so hahaha

If more people thought like I did this world would be a much better place... Well, atleast I think so hahaha

I agree and I don't even know you! That's why I'm on here instead of watching that joke of a debate.

Okay, also a chick here who had to convince a guy that one more was needed (up to 1000 gallons now) plus the cats, dogs turtle, etc. ...

What you do is find a pretex to need to seperate (temporarily, wink, wink) some fish you already have. You can even use the thin excuse you are worried fish you have are about to breed and you need to seperate sexes so you don't end up with too many fish.

You can also heighten your case as a severe economic loss if you sell or give away the tanks full of cobwebs.

Okay, also a chick here who had to convince a guy that one more was needed (up to 1000 gallons now) plus the cats, dogs turtle, etc. ...

What you do is find a pretex to need to seperate (temporarily, wink, wink) some fish you already have. You can even use the thin excuse you are worried fish you have are about to breed and you need to seperate sexes so you don't end up with too many fish.

You can also heighten your case as a severe economic loss if you sell or give away the tanks full of cobwebs.

2 Problems with that.....
1. I already have a breeder tank full of babies.
2. She already took it upon herself to post my tanks on Craigslist.

My extra 4 tanks came as a package deal from this guy that was clueless. I gave him $50 dollars for every thing. The 55's are complete setups as well a 30g complete setup. Plus a 10 complete. Not to mention extra lights,filters,(2)700gph mag pumps and a wet/dry filter. I told her I would keep the stuff I wanted and flip the tanks for my money back....But now I don't want to. It's only 50 bucks right.

55 Gallon Cichlid Tank-Labs,Jewels,Acei,,Red Zebra,Demasoni
55 Gallon Cichlid Tank- Brichardi, Convicts
40 Gallon Community-Ghost Catfish,Giant Danios,Guppys and a Sissified Green Terror
20 Gallon Breeder- Lab Baby's and Guppy baby's

Dude, the answer is in you stock list. Lab and guppy fry in the same tank? Unsustainable. Seperate fry immediately. You need a new tank setup right there.

When green terror grows balls or ovaries, it will need a new tank.

So you don't overpopulate, you will need same-sex fry tanks for the labs and guppies.

That is four new tanks you need to set up right away!

You know what..Your right. My oldest fry are about an inch long now. Last night I was watching them and I thought I was missing a couple of guppies.

As far as the terror...I just don't know about him/her. he got his *** beat pretty good when I put him in my Cichlid tank. Overnight they bit his fins down to nothing. He sat on the bottom of my community tank for awhile. I thought he was gonna die. But now he acts like big brother he's 3x as big as he was and he keeps all the other fish in check.
Thanks for the Idea I'll try to sell it to her this weekend.

I would just say, if I can breed cichlids, I could trade them in to the LFS for cash or store credit.

Dude, you seriously need to set up at least four additional tanks!

Back
Top Bottom