What filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LondonGman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am not an expert on external filters but an offline friend of my mum needs one and wants advise on which one to buy. I said i will post something online so here goes.

She has a 36 long 12 wide 18 inch high tank with 9 goldfishes of various sizes. What would be the best external filter for her? She is not rich and she is an "old girl" so nothing too complex. Ideally one available in the UK.

Thanks in advance

Hrmm. Dunno which one exactly, but make sure either it really overfilters the tank with all those goldies in there, or get 2. I'm having a feeling we're talking a gramma here who is not likely to get another tank to house some of those goldies (they are awfully overcrowded) so overfiltering is a distant second choice. You'll want something which filters a bare minimum of 330 US gallon per hour (thats about 10x the tank water capacity) but more would be better.

any particluar manufacturer. I know they sell eheim and fluva here. She said she was going to give one of the gold fishes away. Apparently it is 6 fishes big.

Dunno...I have a fluval in my QT tank (and its the smallest one they make) and I think its great, but all my big tanks have Marineland's filters. Never used an Eheim.

Send Terry a PM; since he sells filters he might be better able to give you an idea which would be best in the gramma's situation.

Do you have Aqua Clear over there?

Aqua Clear makes a very reliable inexpensive hang on back filter. I had great success with an AQ 300 before on a 29 gal tank. You may need somethink larger like the 500. The filter media are very easy to change, sold almost everywhere (in the US anyway) and are cheap.

Yes aqua-clears are great I used to use the 300 for a long time, or there are the similar penguin 330 or emperor 400 from marineland that are excellent too.

The AQ500 moves a huge amount of water :cool: I think it is rated at 500 GPH and for a 150 US gal tank.

The Emperor 400 is rated at 400 gph and 80 gal tank

Emmi:

That post is not your writing. If you are going to copy and paste from other websites you must follow their copywrite rules. If they have none, you still must give the author and website. Until then, I have to remove your post. Sorry.

I'm glad you said something about that post. Besides infringing on copyright, it was information overload. Although it had a great deal of info, I doubt that brought LondonGman any closer to a solution.

What I like most about this type of forum is that you are drawing on peoples first hand experiences and can ask them directly about their experiences. With a cut and paste article, all you find out is that the user knows how to do a google search.

No offense.

Heh I live for google searches saberry!

But you're absolutely correct; copywrite infringement is a big issue, and the whole point of this forum is to ask others their suggestions and opinions, not to just take em from somewhere else with no personal input.

Thanks a lot for the filter models. I will mention that the online experts (does that sound nerdy) reckon that she should go for either a

Aqua Clear 500
Penguin 330
Emperor 400

If she has problems finding one, I’ll be back

I did not see Emmi’s post. Emmi, post the websites address instead of copying its contents here. Most website want people to read their stuff but prefer people to read it from their website, as opposed to the good stuff being copied off to another website. Simply post the address to the webpage here example <<www.intrestingsite.com/good-read.html>> and we will click on the link to the information.

By the way, if the information was in response to my request, thank you.

well if you want good but cheap then this is the best deal clearjet internal filter 800lh it is about £10 off the net at www.aquatics-online.co.uk i have got one in my tank and it does the job for my tank 36X12x18
hope you find what you are after take care
good luck with your fishkeeping :)

Thanks for the info. She does not have internet access but i have emailed all the info i gotten here to her son to sort out. i.e model samples, minimum requirements etc and now your suggested website. It is all I can do.

Back
Top Bottom