what fish are OK in a 5 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chili rasbora/mosquito rasbora (Boraras brigittae) would be great for a 5 gallon. They're VERY small. They are small enough to be no threat to shrimp. They aren't terribly active (which is another reason why they're a great choice for a 5), but they aren't shy either and you'll see a lot of them.

It's quite possible for an adult betta to eat RCS, and many will. If said betta isn't large enough to eat adult RCS at the time of purchase, it's only a matter of time- he'll grow. Any betta you buy is a threat to baby shrimp so if you would like for them to reproduce (they'll breed quickly if given the chance), I would skip the betta for sure.

If you can find them, there are several other variants of Neocaridina heteropoda- snowball, blue pearl, yellow come to mind. Do not mix different color variants.

In a 5 gallon, you could keep 8-10 Boraras brigittae or Boraras merah, and you could start with a small colony of RCS or other variant, say 10-15. You'll have more in no time. LOL.

If you want to do something really unique, check out some of the smaller wild Bettas. You'll rarely ever find any at your lfs so you'll almost certainly need to order them online. Smaller species like Betta rutilans can be housed in pairs in a 5 gallon for life.

ok so now i will get 3 endlers :) he was fine with corys and is fine with a chinese algae eater

The only thing would add, is to add the betta last.
If he is in there first they will claim the whole tank if it's small enough
(found this out the hard way and had to do some quick rehoming and re-arranging to make it look all new...)

ive already got the betta in there but ill put him in a quarentine for a week or two after i add the endlers

allaboutfish said:
ive already got the betta in there but ill put him in a quarentine for a week or two after i add the endlers

Good plan. It definitely helped reduce the aggression and "entitlement" my little guy felt!

Back
Top Bottom