What fish can be in a 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_lover

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking about getting one goldfish for a 20 gallon , but just in case I don't , what types of fish can I put in a 20 gallon ?

Depends, are you wanting cold water or tropical? Community or just a few fish? Peaceful, semi-agressive, or agressive? Do you want live plants?

Hmm, so many options. Depends if you want to keep plants, if you want semi-agressive, peaceful, agressive, etc.

Small Tank Fish

I was thinking about getting one goldfish for a 20 gallon , but just in case I don't , what types of fish can I put in a 20 gallon ?

Hello Fish...

Small tanks require small fish. For a 20 G, I'd get Tetras, Danios, Rasboras or White Clouds. The smallest of the Corydoras might work: Pygmies or Pandas.

If this is your first tank, then I'd get a few of just one species and see how it goes.

B

I think I'm just going to get an Oranda goldfish

My understanding about goldfish is that most species get REALLY big and require a very large tank. I don't know a lot on Goldfish but I think the Oranda get like 10" or so which is not suitable for a 20 gallon. I hear someone on another post mention something called a Pear Scale I think. It's a type on goldfish and I think it's one of the smallest. You might do some research on it. I'm not sure even that will work for your 20 gal. I would go with some nice tropical fish. I have a 20 gallon and believe me, there are lots of options. :)

My understanding about goldfish is that most species get REALLY big and require a very large tank. I don't know a lot on Goldfish but I think the Oranda get like 10" or so which is not suitable for a 20 gallon. I hear someone on another post mention something called a Pear Scale I think. It's a type on goldfish and I think it's one of the smallest. You might do some research on it. I'm not sure even that will work for your 20 gal. I would go with some nice tropical fish. I have a 20 gallon and believe me, there are lots of options. :)

Gold fish are slow growers and take along time to get that big. My daughters tank is 20 long that has a fan tail and a black moore that are both about a year old.

Gold fish are dirty so I do 50% water changes every 2-3 weeks. in the next 6 months to a year I will have to upgrade her to a 55.

Gold fish are slow growers and take along time to get that big. My daughters tank is 20 long that has a fan tail and a black moore that are both about a year old.

Gold fish are dirty so I do 50% water changes every 2-3 weeks. in the next 6 months to a year I will have to upgrade her to a 55.

A 20gal is way too small for 2 Goldies.

As you said, they are dirty fish.

A 50% water change every 2-3 weeks is not even close to what these fish need to keep that water at a safe level.

I can almost guarantee that the nitrates will be sky high, maybe the ammo and nitrites will be too!

A 20gal is way too small for 2 Goldies.

As you said, they are dirty fish.

A 50% water change every 2-3 weeks is not even close to what these fish need to keep that water at a safe level.

I can almost guarantee that the nitrates will be sky high, maybe the ammo and nitrites will be too!
I will approve to this, saying that a 50% water change every few weeks or so is really no where near enough, and they will end up dying from their own bio-load and nitrogen contained in the water, mainly Ammonia or Nitrite or Nitrate.

But I will add saying it is way too small is maybe a bit over emphasized. This could be a temporary solution with proper maintain. The real problem would be that they would be cramped in there, because of their large size.

A last important point will be to vacuum the gravel/sand, as most likely, there will be a lot of waste due to the large bio-load of goldfish. So bi-weekly or weekly gravel/sand vacuuming will largely assist to lower the toxins and will assist to maintain clear water.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom