Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-26-2013, 03:13 AM   #1
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 295
What fish can be in a 20 gallon

I was thinking about getting one goldfish for a 20 gallon , but just in case I don't , what types of fish can I put in a 20 gallon ?
__________________

__________________
Fish_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Scottyhorse's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 3,823
Depends, are you wanting cold water or tropical? Community or just a few fish? Peaceful, semi-agressive, or agressive? Do you want live plants?
__________________

__________________
Starting over...... Kinda.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now


Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:04 AM   #3
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
Depends, are you wanting cold water or tropical? Community or just a few fish? Peaceful, semi-agressive, or agressive? Do you want live plants?
Tropical fish
__________________
Fish_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Scottyhorse's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 3,823
Hmm, so many options. Depends if you want to keep plants, if you want semi-agressive, peaceful, agressive, etc.
__________________
Starting over...... Kinda.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now


Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:42 AM   #5
member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 44
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1968932099.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	182687
A group of these.
Lake Tanganyika she'll dwellers
__________________
Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:01 AM   #6
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
Hmm, so many options. Depends if you want to keep plants, if you want semi-agressive, peaceful, agressive, etc.
I think I'm just going to get an Oranda goldfish
__________________
Fish_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BBradbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,861
Small Tank Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_lover View Post
I was thinking about getting one goldfish for a 20 gallon , but just in case I don't , what types of fish can I put in a 20 gallon ?
Hello Fish...

Small tanks require small fish. For a 20 G, I'd get Tetras, Danios, Rasboras or White Clouds. The smallest of the Corydoras might work: Pygmies or Pandas.

If this is your first tank, then I'd get a few of just one species and see how it goes.

B
__________________
"Fear not, my young apprentice. Just change the tank water."
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Pawtrekker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_lover View Post

I think I'm just going to get an Oranda goldfish
My understanding about goldfish is that most species get REALLY big and require a very large tank. I don't know a lot on Goldfish but I think the Oranda get like 10" or so which is not suitable for a 20 gallon. I hear someone on another post mention something called a Pear Scale I think. It's a type on goldfish and I think it's one of the smallest. You might do some research on it. I'm not sure even that will work for your 20 gal. I would go with some nice tropical fish. I have a 20 gallon and believe me, there are lots of options.
__________________
Pawtrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivers2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawtrekker View Post
My understanding about goldfish is that most species get REALLY big and require a very large tank. I don't know a lot on Goldfish but I think the Oranda get like 10" or so which is not suitable for a 20 gallon. I hear someone on another post mention something called a Pear Scale I think. It's a type on goldfish and I think it's one of the smallest. You might do some research on it. I'm not sure even that will work for your 20 gal. I would go with some nice tropical fish. I have a 20 gallon and believe me, there are lots of options.
Gold fish are slow growers and take along time to get that big. My daughters tank is 20 long that has a fan tail and a black moore that are both about a year old.

Gold fish are dirty so I do 50% water changes every 2-3 weeks. in the next 6 months to a year I will have to upgrade her to a 55.
__________________
Rivers2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Scouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Scouser on tour, Scarborough UK
Posts: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2k View Post

Gold fish are slow growers and take along time to get that big. My daughters tank is 20 long that has a fan tail and a black moore that are both about a year old.

Gold fish are dirty so I do 50% water changes every 2-3 weeks. in the next 6 months to a year I will have to upgrade her to a 55.
A 20gal is way too small for 2 Goldies.

As you said, they are dirty fish.

A 50% water change every 2-3 weeks is not even close to what these fish need to keep that water at a safe level.

I can almost guarantee that the nitrates will be sky high, maybe the ammo and nitrites will be too!
__________________
Scouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: AquaLand
Posts: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
A 20gal is way too small for 2 Goldies.

As you said, they are dirty fish.

A 50% water change every 2-3 weeks is not even close to what these fish need to keep that water at a safe level.

I can almost guarantee that the nitrates will be sky high, maybe the ammo and nitrites will be too!
I will approve to this, saying that a 50% water change every few weeks or so is really no where near enough, and they will end up dying from their own bio-load and nitrogen contained in the water, mainly Ammonia or Nitrite or Nitrate.

But I will add saying it is way too small is maybe a bit over emphasized. This could be a temporary solution with proper maintain. The real problem would be that they would be cramped in there, because of their large size.

A last important point will be to vacuum the gravel/sand, as most likely, there will be a lot of waste due to the large bio-load of goldfish. So bi-weekly or weekly gravel/sand vacuuming will largely assist to lower the toxins and will assist to maintain clear water.
__________________
Oscar and ClownKnife Fish Lover
Fishanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_lover View Post

I think I'm just going to get an Oranda goldfish
Put that beautiful white beta in there
__________________
Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bettaowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,981
A few dwarf puffers would look great in a species tank.
__________________

__________________
Rule number one: Always research a fish before you buy it.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
20 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×