What fish do you refuse to own?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mutant, dyed, etc
Tiger barbs
Oscars (so ugly IMO)
Goldfish and koi

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Dwarf Gourami and platies. I couldn't keep them alive, SBD or Gourami disease or something. Love the look and activity, but not the mortality. Didn't know that was a live bearer thing, thanks for the tip I will avoid mollies, etc., too. I have barbs and tetras and otos.

Chinese Algae Eater! Tried to eat my goldfish!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Someone said tetras are bullies, is that true? I had never heard that, I just started over with them. The embers seem mild-mannered, something is going on with the neons, one was killed.

I used to be opposed to goldfish until I picked up a few and let them grow up. They're all 5 inches or so now and I love it. Hibernation season means no maintenance for a couple months out of the year.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Alligator Gar- too big for any home aquarium. Some public aquariums can't even keep these guys. I hate seeing them in 125 gallons and hearing people say they might upgrade to a 225. Yeah because a full grown Alligator Gar will work in that!

Pacu- again too big for darn near any aquarium. They truly deserve ponds.

Dyed Fish- there ain't no need to dye a fish.

Red Tailed Catfish- I truly don't see how anyone can even begin to think this fish can fit in their aquarium.

1:Killifish,a nice looking fish,but,they only live 1-2 years and are 30$ for a PAIR,that's 15$ each PER FISH,so,what i'm trying to say is,way too much for a fish that will only live a year.

2:blue gourami,AGRESSIVE.

Chinese hillstream loaches. Spectacular fish but so difficult to cattch . had mine for 6 month and were fine until I changed the substrate. Wouldn't let me catch them then all 4 died 2 days later. Would highly recommend African dwarf frogs. I now have 7 and they are really interesting to watch and easy to care for.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Got my "gift" tank with an iridescent shark in it 15" long ten years old an totally miserable. Rehomed him to an indoor 500g pond with some schoolmates! I would never get another for obvious reasons - they aren't meant for tanks and are so skittish in those settings, he hurt himself and other fish.
Also agree on all the monsters not meant for home aquariums.
I also don't personally care for oscars or goldfish but that's just me. I'll give almost anything else a whirl if I can provide happy and healthy conditions.

Got my "gift" tank with an iridescent shark in it 15" long ten years old an totally miserable. Rehomed him to an indoor 500g pond with some schoolmates! I would never get another for obvious reasons - they aren't meant for tanks and are so skittish in those settings, he hurt himself and other fish.
Also agree on all the monsters not meant for home aquariums.
I also don't personally care for oscars or goldfish but that's just me. I'll give almost anything else a whirl if I can provide happy and healthy conditions.

I forgot to mention Bala Sharks! Yeah they don't really belong in home aquaria.
I like Oscars a lot and want one but the variants like the all red/disgusting rust color just bug me. I like the black bodied tiger oscars with excellent oval fins.
I'm not a fan of Goldie's either.

I know a lot of people seem to like them, but for me, I'd never get Ghost shrimp...I just find them totally creepy. I also don't like fish that you can sort of see through. I agree with the general sentiment about not buying fish that were manufactured in a lab or inbred for effect or whatever they do. The thought of that just bums me out.

I see a lot of people saying they don't want hugely inbred fish. I am not sure if you understand how much inbreeding is used in the hobby tbh.

For example, these are wild guppies

wgup3.jpg

Nearly every fish we have nowadays is the product of many generations of inbreeding.

Parrot fish,zebra Dinos, anything painted fish cuz that is just wrong, and anything that grows over 24"

5 gallon Betta Tank
In Progress 20L Reef

I know a lot of people seem to like them, but for me, I'd never get Ghost shrimp...I just find them totally creepy. I also don't like fish that you can sort of see through. I agree with the general sentiment about not buying fish that were manufactured in a lab or inbred for effect or whatever they do. The thought of that just bums me out.
Yeah,the fact that they dye fish makes me angry-it reduces the fish's lifespan and harms the fish.Oh,and BTW what do you not like about glass/see-through fish?For me,i think the glass catfish are one of the coolest fish in the aquarium hobby.BTW i think the coolest fish is the lungfish.

Back
Top Bottom