What fish do you think should NOT be in the fish keeping hobby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some haven't YET been bred in captivity. Techniques are improving all the time and more species are successfully being bred across the board.

Until they are, they shouldn't be being taken from the wild in MASSIVE NUMBERS to supply fish shops around the world. There are more than enough captive bred(currently) species already available.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Until they are, they shouldn't be being taken from the wild in MASSIVE NUMBERS to supply fish shops around the world. There are more than enough captive bred(currently) species already available.

I agree that the massive numbers is a problem, but habitat destruction is a bigger problem. There are fish currently traded commonly that are extinct in the wild.

There have to be restrictions for species that could be invasive. The lionfish in the Caribbean is a prime example. Goldfish have, in fact, become a nuisance species in several areas of the country. I personally would not keep anything that is venomous, poisonous, or toxic. Got careless in my zookeeper days cleaning a tank with a lionfish in it; the most exquisitely excruciating pain I've ever personally had.

For me the more important question is that should people feed feeder fish to there pet fish or not? Housing a fish in small place than its requirement is very bad but more bad is to kill one poor soul just for your entertainment. If u are worried about wild caught fish not in the hobby then u need to feed packaged food to your beloved fish as well.

Not necessarily a kind of fish, but practices often applied to various fish- "painting", "dyeing", "dipping", and "juicing". It makes me so sad to see fish with dye under their skin, or fish that have been juiced with hormones so they'll look prettier. I've even heard that they've begun using hypodermic needles to tattoo fish.
"Strawberry" or "blueberry" tetras are a prime example of fish subjected to this treatment. I don't think it should be allowed. ):

Glofish are the byproduct of valuable scientific research. I don't want one, but their history is a neat one.

I've seen tattooed fish... At a rescue place. Made me wonder what kind of situation they were in.

Glofish are the byproduct of valuable scientific research. I don't want one, but their history is a neat one.

I've seen tattooed fish... At a rescue place. Made me wonder what kind of situation they were in.
I comprehend the idea just not sure it was really the intent to try and detect pollution. I think it was all along about profit. But just my opinion. Im a 3 percenter and not a fan of anything gmo related. But I get your point nirbhao.

I think all freshwater fish that are wild caught should only go to science unless they are invasive

Definitely. Habitat destruction is a problem for just about all species, fish or not...

Back
Top Bottom