What fish for my 55 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaindioux

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

My 55 is about cycled. What would you suggest as far as gentle community tank knowing that:

1) I want to try some FW shrimp eventually.
2) I want some snails.
3) The tank will not be planted at this time.I will use plastic for now.
4) I like barbs, sharks, weather loach, algea eaters,plecos....more I am sure....
5) Not too crazy about gouramis, guppies,platties or tetras.

Thanks a lot

Patrick

Since you don't like livebearers, tetras or gouramis, consider barbs?

In my experience, most barbs (with the exception of tiger barbs) get along great. They like to shoal, so they need at least a few friends of their own species. Here are some that I have found get along nicely.
- cherry barbs
- rosy barbs
- gold barbs
- checkered barbs
- redline barbs (sometimes called roseline sharks)

They could be mixed with corydoras catfish and a bristlenose pleco. Add a few snails including some assassins to keep the other snail populations in check. I'm not sure about shrimp with the barbs.

I don't know if a barb tank would be considered "gentle" though... they're fairly zippy! And yes, I'm biased. I <3 my barb community tank!

Hi Patrick! Welcome to AA! :D

I have a 55 gallon community tank that consists of:

(1) Red Tail Shark
He's a little twitchy towards my other fish, but not violent like how most RT Sharks get when they mature.

(1) Common Pleco
I don't recommend a Common, but you can check out other Plecos that don't get so big.

(1) Flame Dwarf Gourami (I know you said no Gouramis, but you didn't specify which ones lol). ;)
Prefers his own territory and has chased off a few trespassers, but has never been violent. Adds quite a bit of color to the tank!

(2) Clown Loaches
These are great little bottom-feeders and funny to watch. However, they too will get pretty big, (although their growth is slow), and may require to be rehomed if their growth isn't stunted and they grow to full size.

The rest of my fish are livebearers, (Mollies/Swordtail), and Neon Tetras, (which you don't seem too interested in), but are great tankmates w/ all of the ones I listed.

I hope I gave you a few ideas! :) I have pics on my profile or in my tank thread, (click the link in my signature), if you're interested in checking them out. Congrats on the cycle almost ending! Now for the fun part! :D

I want a 55 so I can get some Bosemani Rainbows..they are beautiful.

I own 4 shrimp and the tiger barbs dont really notice them tbh

Hi

Well thanks to all so far. It seems the barbs are the way to go with some catfish and loaches probably.
The snails seem easy enough so I will try a couple to see how it goes at first, same for the shrimp I will add a few to see what happends.

Thanks to all

Patrick

Back
Top Bottom