What fish have you had before, and never will again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NODAK1979

Aquarium Advice Activist
In short, which fish have you tried and refuse to ever get again?? Any?

For me, it's angelfish. We were given 6 angelfish to start our aquarium off. They are the most ridiculously aggressive fish I've seen. All they did was fight.

So the end game of the 6 angelfish was that 1 ended up dying, presumably from bullying by the other fish. I doubt it was water parameters, because I had much more sensitive fish in there that would have died far before an angel. We gave 3 of them back to the person who we got them from...and traded 2 in to our LFS.

Best decision ever. I can't even begin to say how much better our tank is without angelfish.

When we got rid of them, other fish came out more. The German Blue Rams were more active...so were our cories. And our discus...well...the final straw with the last 2 angels is that they picked on my discus and noooooooobody picks on my discus. So they're happy too.

How big is the tank o_O don't angel fish get rarer large? I would say six is far too many (assuming your tank was cramped). I had an angel fish when I was younger in an over stocked 10G and it never fought. I want to get a new one soon!

I would never get a ghost catfish again. When we got ours it died within four months! It was kinda hard to find as well.

I think Cory catfish are ugly! We had one in our cichlid's tank it was so boring and murky looking. It lived forever!! I was happy when it was finally dead.

How big is the tank o_O don't angel fish get rarer large? I would say six is far too many (assuming your tank was cramped). I had an angel fish when I was younger in an over stocked 10G and it never fought. I want to get a new one soon!

I would never get a ghost catfish again. When we got ours it died within four months! It was kinda hard to find as well.

I think Cory catfish are ugly! We had one in our cichlid's tank it was so boring and murky looking. It lived forever!! I was happy when it was finally dead.

We have a 60g. They weren't really big, either. Just nasty creatures. All of our other fish get along just fine. But the angels were a constant headache in a community aquarium. Never again.

DreD said:

Have you looked at orange laser cories? Not ugly looking to me!!!

Homedog98 said:
Have you looked at orange laser cories? Not ugly looking to me!!!

I take that back! I just remembered my friend showed me pics of cories. I didn't know there were more than one kind, but they looked so cool! The one I had was green and brown and looked like it belonged to a muddy pond xp

We have a 60g. They weren't really big, either. Just nasty creatures. All of our other fish get along just fine. But the angels were a constant headache in a community aquarium. Never again.

That's just what they do. :) IMHO Angelfish aren't really community fish, they're far too territorial. It would actually be better if you just had one Angel I think as he would know he's the boss.

I had 5 Angelfish, they were all territorial over their little space in the tank (55 gallon) and then two paired off... The pair then had 75% of the tank to themselves and the other 3 Angels were constantly cowering in the remaining 25%. The pair now have their own planted 29 gallon tank and they are awesome. Laying eggs like crazy and as long as nobody goes near their eggs they're totally placid.

...and to answer your question? I did once feel that way about Tiger Barbs (see the link in my signature below) but now I would love to get another tank full of them again - I miss them!

That's just what they do. :) IMHO Angelfish aren't really community fish, they're far too territorial. It would actually be better if you just had one Angel I think as he would know he's the boss.

I had 5 Angelfish, they were all territorial over their little space in the tank (55 gallon) and then two paired off... The pair then had 75% of the tank to themselves and the other 3 Angels were constantly cowering in the remaining 25%. The pair now have their own planted 29 gallon tank and they are awesome. Laying eggs like crazy and as long as nobody goes near their eggs they're totally placid.

People seem to disagree a LOT about angelfish. Some say they're community fish, some say they aren't. Some say they're fine with discus and others say they're not. Usually it seems there's a consensus about most fish but not angels.

Kerri tetras (sometimes called blue emporer tetras or purple kerri tetras).

They were so mean and aggressive. I had 8 of them in a 55gal and they chased, nipped and tormented my 2 dwarf gouramis until they died. I didn't even realize what was going on until it was too late. They left other fish alone, just terrorized the gouramis. I gave them away the next day.

I will never, ever, own kerri tetras again!

Red tailed catfish. He got HUGE. My pond could barely handle him. Glad he jumped out one day...

People seem to disagree a LOT about angelfish. Some say they're community fish, some say they aren't. Some say they're fine with discus and others say they're not. Usually it seems there's a consensus about most fish but not angels.

Yeah. Probably depends on the individual tank and fish. My experiences with them was OK, they never attacked the other fish, just other Angels... But when the two paired off, they sure did! Usually when I research a fish and can't find a consensus I assume the worst of it. :)

Crepe said:
Red tailed catfish. He got HUGE. My pond could barely handle him. Glad he jumped out one day...

That explain it for ya?

Attachments

• image-413492848.jpg
    image-413492848.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 214
tiger barbs most likely haha.
I had them when I was little. like when I was five and they were big ol' bullies.

well, for me its a toss up between the bala shark, iridescent shark, or pictus catfish.. ive gone through 4 of those pictus, and i hate them..

Buenos Aires Tetras. I think they are devil fish. I hate them. They act like piranhas. And tormented all my fish, especially my cherry barbs. Will never get tetras again. The only ones I like are the penguin tetras. And serpaes.

Sent from my iPhone

Several years back when I knew absolutely nothing about fish at all, I had a tank with neon tetras, angelfish, and tiger barbs. What a bad combination! The tiger barbs relentlessly nipped the angel's fins, and the neon tetras became angelfish snacks.

Several years back when I knew absolutely nothing about fish at all, I had a tank with neon tetras, angelfish, and tiger barbs. What a bad combination! The tiger barbs relentlessly nipped the angel's fins, and the neon tetras became angelfish snacks.

Food chain. ;)

Pictus cat all the way. He is beautiful but has a talent of eating the most expensive fish in the tank. His record is 8 brand new cardinal tetras in a single night.

Back
Top Bottom