What fish should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking to add something to my 26g tank. My fish are all pretty small right now, and the Guppies and Cherry Barbs do not produce much waste. Right now I have 30 inches of fish if everything grew to the theoretical max, but I do not see that happening. My largest Guppy is 1.5 long and hasn't grown since I got it, and all the male Cherry Barbs are about the same length included the tail. I have an Eheim ECCO 2233 and a Aquaclear 200 on the tank to keep up with the filtration.

I would like something that gets to about 3 inches, and will be OK as a loner. I would like a fish that seems pretty intelligent as well. I have been looking at a Red Tail Shark or maybe a Pearl Gourami. Give me some ideas that would go well with some Cherry Barbs and Guppies in a tank this size :D

Hehe. This is always a question for me. I've tried time and time again to come up with THE perfect loner tank resident to fill that empty space. I've thought of getting a Kribensis (plural Kribenses?), and have a male neon blue dwarf gourami who I like a lot. Other options... I'm blanking, and it's late.

If I have any brainstorms overnight, I'll let you know. I often check out liveaquaria.com for ideas. Also, aquariumfish.net.

Good luck!

Has anybody kept Killifish or Cherry Bitterlings?

I stumbled across them on liveaquaria (they're under the "misc" catergory)...i'd really love to have a pink and a blue cherry bitterling in with my goldies when I get my big(ger) tank...but I've never even seen 'em at the lfs!

The lyretail killifish seems like it would make a good centerpiece kinda fish as well...

I think killifish are a great addition to a tank, they are a little bit more money wise than your average fish but are worth every penny. In the UK they are always sold in pairs, or in my store they are anyway.
The one thing to remember is in the wild killifish only live for one season (ie) when the dry season comes all the adult killi's die and the eggs lay in the bottom of the rivers until the next rainy season starts.
They do live longer in captivity, and they are a pieceful fish as well. They are a great addition to a community.

I personally like gold and opaline gouramis. Depends on if you want blue or yellow fish ;p They hit about 4 inches, and I've never had any aggression problems.

Terry said:
I think killifish are a great addition to a tank, they are a little bit more money wise than your average fish but are worth every penny. In the UK they are always sold in pairs, or in my store they are anyway.
The one thing to remember is in the wild killifish only live for one season (ie) when the dry season comes all the adult killi's die and the eggs lay in the bottom of the rivers until the next rainy season starts.
They do live longer in captivity, and they are a pieceful fish as well. They are a great addition to a community.

Terry, I don't think this is true with ALL killifish. There are many types of killies and some are considered "annuals", and do only have a lifespan of about a year for the reasons you specified. However, there are other types with a much longer life expectancy. Florida flagfish are a type of killifish and I believe they live much longer.

I researched killies before I bought fish for my 30 gallon planted tank. I'm still fascinated by them--they are so colorful! However, the general consensus between the killifish community is that they don't make good "community fish" with other tropicals. You can mix some species of killies in a killifish community, but they tend to be territorial and aggressive.

Now, Grimlock... I'd have to put in a bid for Bolivian Rams as an addition to your 26 gallon. They have a great personality and are not the least big aggressive towards my other fish. I adore mine! :D

"Florida flagfish are a type of killifish and I believe they live much longer."

"I'd have to put in a bid for Bolivian Rams"

I rarely see Rams around, although one local Petco has fish labeled as Flagfish in the Cichlid area that look like Rams. There were getting setup to get in a new shipment of fish though, so I think the tags were all messed up. I should go back there this weekend, if that really was a tank of Rams, they had a whole bunch of small cute ones :)

I'd say go with the red tailed black shark, they are the best loner tank mates since they don't tolerate their own kind. They are really nice looking fish and grow to at leat 3" in length. I have one in my 30gal, and one in my 20gal. This is pic of my red tail Maximus in my 30gal.

Madame_X
I do appoligize for my answer on this post, i didn't really research properly on killifish and i posted my responce without really looking into all of the killifish families.
My wrist has been truely slapped.

Terry

My Pink Kissing Gourami is a pretty happy fell by himself. I bought another one in hopes of him to have company to only have it chase it until it finally it croaked. But him by himself is really nice to watch him glide around the tank and when the light hits him just right and you ARENT looking at the tank it gets your attention fast....like a beem of light.....Go to my gallery and take a peak at him to see what I mean!

I think American flagfish have been re-classified, and now technically fall under "pupfish"... I had 3 that died within the first week I had them. I was heartbroken. And also hit myself for buying them from the crappiest store around. An impulse buy, and I'll never make the same mistake again.

Also, AFF are really peaceful, contrary to their previous, mistaken reputation. They're also quite shy! They won't be a centerpiece in the sense that you're probably looking for, Grimlock, coz they'll always be hiding behind your intake tube and heater! Perhaps mine were exceptionally shy, though. However, under the right light, their coloration is superb.

I like the idea of Rams, but you should be aware that these are very short-lived fish. I never get them, as I have a feeling they'll only live a year in my tanks. But, they are fantastic! Here's a thread on another site which supports this assertion, and the fact that they're hard to keep in general: http://pub36.ezboard.com/faquariumbbsfrm8.showMessage?topicID=560.topic

I'm still thinking Kribs.

ADCISCO said:
My Pink Kissing Gourami is a pretty happy fell by himself. I bought another one in hopes of him to have company to only have it chase it until it finally it croaked.

The only problem with this is Pink Kissing Gourami's grow to about 12 inches in the right environments ;p

Angel Fish. Everyone should own an angel fish at least once i there lives. i have just gotten two in my 29 g tank and all my friends ignore the cardinals and guppies and gawp at the angel fishes.
Angel fishes look diffirent and cruise around the tank like something out of a scifi film. No other fish messes with them but they do not bully anything in the tank either. This may change when they grow bigger.

While I do like Angels, I have quite a current going through my tank that still manages to catch my small fish off guard, not sure if an Angel fish would enjoy it. I could slow it down, but an Angel would end up bigger than I want.

I had a red tail shark for a while and I would stay well away from them. Mine would chase anything in sight, no matter what size. I am biased towards the Bolivian Ram option but be sure that if you put a pair in they will defend their own territory should they start to lay eggs.

I have four rams in one tank and they tend to stick to themselves, and are fine with other fish in my tank. My golden rams are a smaller option and more colourful.

Lots of luck

I got so excited when I looked up Bolivian Rams and saw that they are a peaceful cichlid! I didn't know there was such a thing! Then I kept reading this post and hear that they live such a short time. Man, that makes me sad. Beautiful, beautiful fish...

And the new fish are...

Two Blue Rams

I only wanted one fish, but I could not think of a single person that only had one Ram at a time so I got the pair. I found these at PETCO after some calling around, each fish is about one inch long. I acclimated the fish a few hours ago with the tank lights turned off. The new Rams seem vveerryy cautious and have been hovering in certain spots in the tank (which is still in the dark). I am hoping this a sign of intelligence and not a sign that I received sick fish.

Good call, and good luck! Did you read the thread I posted?

Realistically, I don't think Rams are quite as difficult to deal with as the Aquamaniacs ppl were stating, but do give them good care, keep them in clean water and check out dietary needs.

Back
Top Bottom