What fish should i get!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mc96928

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have about 5 Lyretail Guppy's and am currently waiting out the cycling process since i hadn't done that at the start. I like to plan ahead and was thinking if anyone had any suggestions. Its a 10 gallon planted tank.

I wouldn't go more than 10 fish in a 10 gallon. So u have 5 guppies, add a couple Cory catfish, or 5 Cory catfish. Or, 5 neon tetras, or 5 livebearers.

Cory cats do a lot of work on picking up extra food on the ground but they like having friends. Same with tetras or livebearers. So, your decision :). Maybe your 5 guppies, 3 Cory cats and a honey gourami?

I have about 5 Lyretail Guppy's and am currently waiting out the cycling process since i hadn't done that at the start. I like to plan ahead and was thinking if anyone had any suggestions. Its a 10 gallon planted tank.

I'm jealous. It is impossible to get lyretail guppies where I live and I want to start a breeding program using them.. makes things difficult.

+1 on the corys. Those are a really fun fish.

Cory's don't they need like 6 ? And they get pretty big ? I'd do shrimp 1" or fish per gallon unless you want to add another filter. Like an aquaclear

Cory's don't they need like 6 ? And they get pretty big ? I'd do shrimp 1" or fish per gallon unless you want to add another filter. Like an aquaclear

Shrimp would be a nice addition as well, RCS are some of my favs and are cheap as well.

In addition, the 1" / gallon rule was a good base line to follow for quite a while but people try to look at the bio load of fish as well. For example a pleco or gold fish is going to add way more to the bio load than most other similarly sized fish. I like to use AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor as a base line to figure out stocking levels on my tanks.

For example, on a 10g tank 5 guppies and a shoal of 6 corys gives a 122% stocking level. It is a good base line comparison but only really a guideline. I took my stocking level up to 150% and had absolutely no issues at all. If you wanted to save on some stocking space you could go as low as 4 cory cats, although I would say that is the absolute minimum.

Shrimp would be a nice addition as well, RCS are some of my favs and are cheap as well.

In addition, the 1" / gallon rule was a good base line to follow for quite a while but people try to look at the bio load of fish as well. For example a pleco or gold fish is going to add way more to the bio load than most other similarly sized fish. I like to use AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor as a base line to figure out stocking levels on my tanks.

For example, on a 10g tank 5 guppies and a shoal of 6 corys gives a 122% stocking level. It is a good base line comparison but only really a guideline. I took my stocking level up to 150% and had absolutely no issues at all. If you wanted to save on some stocking space you could go as low as 4 cory cats, although I would say that is the absolute minimum.

Ya I just recently learned about that aqua advisor ! You can always put a little more in if you over filter then you need to worry about fish stress .

Are you guppies all the same gender? If not, you're going to have more fish sooner rather than later.

I have only all male at the moment. I don't plan on breeding at this point.

Thank you all so much for the advice! Looking forward to getting my fish soon :)

Back
Top Bottom