Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2003, 02:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

What fish should I put in my tank??

I recently bought a 35g and I know that I want two things. The first is that it's going to be a planted tank, the second it that I'd like to have two or three clown loaches.

With this in mind could anyone give me their opinion as to what would be a good match for this situation in terms of fish to add.

Your experiences and thoughts are appreciated.

Old 11-30-2003, 03:16 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

The possibilities are almost endless here...limited only by the fact that you want it to be a planted tank. Obviously you won't want fish that will eat your plants or constantly uproot them. That pretty much takes out most large South American cichlids, African Rift Lake cichlids (water too hard for most plants), and some of the barbs like Tinfoils. AngelFish will do well in a planted tank and will get along with your loaches nicely. Most (but not all...do your research) tetras and barbs will make good planted tank residents. Livebearers will probably do pretty well....guppies, platys, etc.

Your best bet is to haunt your lfs to find fish that appeal to you and then research them in books or on the web to find out if their water requirements, feeding requirements, temperature requirements, adult size and general personalities are appropriate. Research your plants carefully as well...some require very high light levels, additional CO2, and additional fertilizer or special substrates.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Old 12-01-2003, 04:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have 3 clown loaches in a 29 gal. and they are such great fish. I definitely suggest you get 3 instead of 2, because they have a tendency to be timid when you first buy them, they definitely feel more secure in greater numbers, and you have the room.

You could do angelfish, but if you want to try something else, I would suggest some species of really beautiful gourami. I think that would make a much more colorful tank than angelfish, but of course that's your personal preference. You could have a pair of pearl gourami along with a dwarf gourami. With a school of small, colorful tetras, barbs or rasboras, that would make a really beautiful tank.

I have a flame dwarf gourami in with my clowns, and they get along extremely well. I had him in my 10 gal. where he was extremely aggressive, but he can't dish out anything the clowns can't handle. They seem to really enjoy his company (hanging out with him at the top of the tank, occasionally following him around like he's the leader of the school) and I have heard from many sources that clowns like other fish with orange or red markings. I wouldn't recommend you get a flame DG though, because he might pick on the other gourami or angelfish. IMO, flames are much more aggressive than other colors of dwarfs. Mine has actually killed other fish. A neon or powder dwarf gourami would add a nice flash of blue.

Let us know what you decide! Selecting fish is my favorite part, and why I keep having to set up new tanks!
Old 12-01-2003, 09:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to freshwatergal
Those are all good ideas. Just a word to the wise, clown loaches get BIG. So just make sure that you will have the room for them when they reach adulthood.

Other then that have fun chosing your fish. Don't jump for the first thing you see, look around. Good Luck.

Tiff
Old 12-01-2003, 03:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

When you say BIG, do you think a 35g would be big enough to house three Clown Loaches?
Old 12-01-2003, 05:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Check out some of these photos to see just how big they get! 35 gal isn't going to get them through adulthood.

http://www.loaches.com/species_pages...racanthus.html
Old 12-01-2003, 07:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

*agrees with ScottS*

Long term a 35g won't be large enough; clown loaches have been known to get 11-12 inches long as adults. However, unlike common plecs, they won't reach that size in a year *grin* But one needs to be sure they can be accomodated for their full life span; its unfair to them not to be prepared. You might want to consider yoyo loaches instead; just as amusing, striking to look at in their own right, and top out around 6 inches long instead.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 08:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

yup, i plan to upgrade my loaches to a bigger tank in two years at the most. right now, they are happy and have plenty of room, but i realize this won't always be the case. i have heard they grow very slowly (less than 2 inches a year) and as my biggest one is 3.5 inches, i figure they should be happy for a while. you have more than enough room for 3 young clown loaches, but they won't be happy as adults. so it's just a matter of whether you want to upgrade your tank in a couple of years, or make this a permanent living space.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com