what fish to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
So heres the deal, I have a 40gallon tank that is up and running waiting for my filter to be seeded and for me to get my 4 Blue Peacock Cichlids (breeding group). The issue is that the group is 100$ for ones that are about 4 inches long and it will be a few weeks before I get them. I want to make sure my tank is 100% stable with my seeded filter so I wanted to get some fish and put them in there A.) to age the tank a bit before getting 100$ worth of fish. and B.) To insure the tank stays cycled and the BB gets feed via fish waste.

U could get a pleco (not a common) they have a lrg Bioload so it'll feed ur BB plus u can keep him with cichlids once u get em

You don't need to use fish to cycle or establish a tank. YOu can either 1) keep the filter on your other tank to keep it seeded/active until you get the fish, then just transfer the filter over to the new tank (I'd test the water for a week or so though afterwards just to make sure you do water changes as needed if you run into a mini-cycle).

or 2) move the filter over to the new tank and dose with ammonia daily to keep bacteria fed until the fish arrive (essentially, do a fishless cycle -- link is in my signature called 'new empty tank.').

I would think the first option would be the easiest though.

or u could keep a rainbow shark they can hold their own and r peaceful unless they get trespassed on their rock, i added one when i had my cichlid tank and even tho the cichlids were bigger he ruled that and he was the last guy in

I think im just going to get the fish at a younger age and let them grow then breed so that they cost like a 1/4th the price.

librarygirl said:
You don't need to use fish to cycle or establish a tank. YOu can either 1) keep the filter on your other tank to keep it seeded/active until you get the fish, then just transfer the filter over to the new tank (I'd test the water for a week or so though afterwards just to make sure you do water changes as needed if you run into a mini-cycle).

or 2) move the filter over to the new tank and dose with ammonia daily to keep bacteria fed until the fish arrive (essentially, do a fishless cycle -- link is in my signature called 'new empty tank.').

I would think the first option would be the easiest though.

The first idea sounds lile the easiest option to me

Back
Top Bottom