What fish to put in my 30 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoMoreGoldFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I cleaned out my old goldfish tank from the garage that I abandoned 2 years ago (don't ask, horror goldfish story, upgraded tanks and equipment numerous times and still can't keep two goldfish alive), I bought some plants and gravel and am currently doing a fishless cycle and will be ready to add in some fish in around three weeks time.

I did my research and was thinking about the Denison's barbs, bloodfin tetras and Cardinal tetras in schools of 6 (hey, that's 6,6,6:eek:) a community tank because they seem to thrive in similar water temperatures and conditions. My only concern is that the barbs will attack the tetras, being twice, almost three times larger than the latter.

Should I go ahead with it or should I choose some other combination of fish? Suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I have a 30g and have the following

dwarf rasboras
neon tetras
tiger barbs
Zebra danios (+fry)
Peppered cories
Dalmation mollies

All of which live in perfect harmony. Tiger barbs look fantastic, but I'm anticipating trouble as they get older.

These live in a planted tank with driftwood.

Last edited:
My tank is pretty much full but I love ember tetras, a pal of mine has just got 14 of them. They look great together and stay relatively small.

I preferred lots of small fish that school nicely and enjoy each others company as opposed to a handful of bigger fish.

It's all personal choice, but that's how I did my tank. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Don't think I'll get guppies though, had a bad experience with fish that has large fins. I started with a black moor and its fins started to rot around the edges. What started off as a cheap project in a desktop tank ended up costing me over $800 (upgraded tanks three times, two cabinets, four different types filters, three lamps, all sorts of medication, etc.), and after 8 months it still died despite all the efforts, sometimes daily emergency water changes. :(

if your worried about the barbs nipping, what about a school of Corys? I love those little guys. They live on the bottom, but love to swim every where. I have 6 corys, 8 neons tetra, 5 guppies and an albino bristle nose pleco in my 29 g tank.

Back
Top Bottom