What fish with goldies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sugarloves

Aquarium Advice Activist
I here that you can keep zebra danios with goldfish but this doesnt makle sense to me cuz goldfish need a ton of surface aggitation while danios dont like current. What about white clouds.

Don't use a heater with the goldfish. So white clouds would probably be a good choice since a cool winter temp (65+) is recommended for them.

Goldfish officianados (I'm not one but I listen to them alot) would say do not keep any other kinds of fish with goldfish. The goldfish will either nip or be nipped. Keep fancies together or commons together but its not even recommended to keep fancies and commons together! :roll:

Goldfish officianados (I'm not one but I listen to them alot) would say do not keep any other kinds of fish with goldfish. The goldfish will either nip or be nipped. Keep fancies together or commons together but its not even recommended to keep fancies and commons together! :roll:

Don't know how I did this multiple posting, Sorry!

If anyone knows how to delete these duplicate posts, please do, sorry!

• Small Plecos (Chaestistoma Rubbernose, Ancistrus Bushynose (except Ancistris Ranchulus L34), Small Peckolitas including L46 Zebras)

These will eat debris on the bottom and green and brown algaes. The Rubbernoses and Bushynoses will do this best. Note that L34 Ancistris Ranchulus the "Medusa" pleco is a carnivore and is not recommended.

• Otocinculus Catfish

Like the plecos these will eat green and brown algaes. These are a schooling fish and are least stressed when in a group of at least 6.

• Siamese Algae Eaters (Crossocheilus Siamensis)

Perhaps one of the most effecient algae eaters available. They will eat green, brown, and red algaes, including hair and brush algae. These schooling fish like to form a social heirachy within a group of their own species, so at least 6 is recommended. Any stress or tension will be worked out within their group, and not on the other species in the tank.

Watch out, there are some species that are often sold as "Siamese Algae Eaters" but they are actually a different species that don't prefer algae. Check http://www.hut.fi/u/lsarakon/akva.html for more info.

• Male Betta (only one)

Doesn't do much other than look pretty. Bettas nipping goldfish's fins is rare.

• FW Snails (Pomacea, Nerita)

Neritas are very effecient algae eaters and don't get larger than the size of a dime. Said only to reproduce in Brackish water, although I've heard reports that this is a myth. Pomacea Apple Snails that stay small (like the "mystery snails") are also good debris and algae eaters. They do not prefer live plants.

• Dojo Weather Loaches (Misgurnus Angullicaudatus)

Probably one of the best companions for goldfish. They eat anything, including the gunk, debris, and goldfish feces that collects on the tank bottom.

• Borneo Suckers (goes by a myriad of common names, Beaufortia Kweichowensis)

Some people call this a "Hillstream Loach" or "Pleco," of which it is neither. They are members of bottom dwelling freshwater fish called Balitorids. They are in the order of cyprinids. They will eat algae that sticks to the glass and other smooth ornaments in the tank. Their pectoral fins have fused together to form a "sucker" that has allowed them to adapt to living in fast moving streams, so they like a lot of water movement.

• African Dwarf Frogs (not the clawed frogs, check the front feet, they should be webbed, Hymenochirus Boettgeri)

Dwarf frogs are most comfortable in a group of at least 3. They like to group together under a plant or ornament. They will eat just about anything, including bottom sinking protein based food for goldfish. They're very hardy and goldfish don't like the way they taste. :) Although they like to stay submerged in the water all the time, they are true frogs and need to come up to the surface occasionally to take a breath of air. If you're lucky you may even get to hear one sing.

Egg shaped goldfish like fancy fantails and related varities are best. Tank needs to be heated with most of these fish, recommend 75-76 degrees F, which is actually better for the fancier egg shaped goldfish. I believe the loaches and perhaps the Siamese Algae Eaters may do OK in an unheated "coldwater" tank. Make sure you run an airstone to keep dissolved oxygen up.

Companion fish for goldfish can often times become a heated topic. I know there are those who disagree with me with one or more of the species I listed, however, in my own experience, I have kept all of these animals with large egg shaped goldfish with very long flowing fins, and never had any fin nipping happen whatsoever. :)

You DO need a heater with your goldfish to at least regulate the temperature. Just make sure it is set on low. That way it doesn't have drastic highs and lows.

If you get a fancy goldfish, I wouldn't suggest a betta- now, all fish are different and they might get along but the long flowy tail of the goldfish might confuse the betta into thinking its another male.

White Clouds are a good idea.

Also, make sure you have around 10gal of water for each goldfish- they are messy creatures. And if your tank permits you can always get different colors and breeds of goldfish to make your tank not so... monotone? heh

Well, I have a new opinion to add to the mix. I have a tropical community w/ heater and assorted fish including Zebra Danios. And, I have a goldfish tank no heater. And I have been schooled many times by experts at my fav lfs plus what I have read and they all say you do not mix tropicals with goldfish. Not just because of living conditions. Some goldfish are toxic to other fish. Something about a chemical in their body being released or something. (If someone else could clarify that point I'd appreciate it.) But anyway, the differences in any of those fish I believe make them incompatible as tank mates.

R

Back
Top Bottom