what fish would be a good addition?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hypothetical tank situation:

30 gallon normal tank (not long), eight mollys in it, 4 cories, a temporary :( pleco and what else? I'm open to anything that is compatible. I'm looking for some more interesting fish than mollys. I may also get more cories as well as some new center piece fish. The hope is that I will make this a planted tank. I'm looking for any suggestions, but just wondering, whats the biggest kind of cichlid I could have in there with these fish?

Your Mollies are going to overtake that tank unless you have all females.

A pair of German Rams would make for good Cichlids, but most Cichlids get larger than you'd like for that tank and will snack on the fish you have if small enough. Plus most are not so friendly. Rams would work out nicely.

Your Mollies are going to overtake that tank unless you have all females.

A pair of German Rams would make for good Cichlids, but most Cichlids get larger than you'd like for that tank and will snack on the fish you have if small enough. Plus most are not so friendly. Rams would work out nicely.
I agree with the Rams. The german Blue are the prettiest IMO. I just got 2 pairs of them myself. Really cool colors, and they are great in non-aggressive community tanks.

For optimum health, Rams need to be kept warmer than most fish enjoy, with 84 to 86 being best. In spring the temp can be slowly raised to 90 over ten days then back down to the mid-80's. They always breed right after the heat.
Yes, you can keep Rams in the upper 70's; I keep all my tanks at 77 degrees. I've bred Rams at that temperature, but I feed occasional live food to them, and omnivorous and carnivorous smaller fish breed frequently when fed live food thrice weekly.

Dave

yeah I was assuming rams would be the only cichlids I could get, which is fine because I think they're beautiful. I'd also be ok with a fish or two that are a little more aggressive than the mollies, and ones which might eat the fry too. Of course I know that mollys breed prolifically but weirdly enough my 6 females and two males have still not yielded any fry (or none that survived long enough for me to see them anyway) yet and I've had them for the better part of a year. Disappointing because I have some really pretty mollys. But yeah, mollys, corys, and maybe some rams. What are some other possibilities? I don't necessarily want to restrict myself to mollys and a pair of rams. With a thirty gallon and such little fish I'm ok with overstocking slightly.

Back
Top Bottom